Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwinter tomato plants inside - not for fruit - anyone??

Posted by dancinglemons 7+ (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 13, 08 at 17:00

Hello all,

I am looking for information to overwinter some tomato plants inside. I am not looking to grow tomato fruit only to keep the plants alive until spring. This will be sort of a 'bonsai' effect with extreme pruning to keep the plants semi-dormant or very small @ less than 12 inches tall.

Anyone have info on this process?? Anyone tried this? I have green zebra and Dr. Wyche Yellow that I want to attempt this process with.

DL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwinter tomato plants inside - not for fruit - anyone??

DL, I'm linking to a long thread that addresses your questions that was posted just a couple of weeks ago.

Some of the posts have to do with just maintaining plants and some have to do with trying to get production, but the majority of the posts are about overwintering without trying for fruit production which is what you asked about.

I remembered the thread and went to the bottom of this first page and entered overwintering plants, and up it popped.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: overwintering plants

o

My question whenever this question comes up is - why? Work and time issues aside, what are you hoping to gain? A motley looking houseplant with yellow and dropping leaves that's prone to fruit fly and spider mite infestations?

It's not like it gives you any head start on production the following year. New plants will surpass it everytime.

Dave

o

Carolyn,
Thanks a million for that link. A UK gardener gave me the info I needed in a post on that thread.

digdirt,
Why?? The thrill of the unknown. I am retired and like to experiment. Will it be successful? Unless I try I will never know.

DL

o

"Reasons, you want reasons? I've got five good reasons right here!" (making a fist one finger at a time)-- Lucy.

"Those are some pretty good reasons!" (trembling and choking up) -- Linus.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here