Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pappabell

Big Golden Delicious Tomato

pappabell
9 years ago

Does anybody have more info on this tomato other than whats on Mariannes seeds site?Must be very rare or old.Nothing in search engines....

Comments (9)

• sheltieche
    9 years ago

maybe this link

Here is a link that might be useful: Ginger Golden delicious

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

You might want to check out the link below as well,

Patty posts elsewhere and I can ask her about it if you want me to.

But I still believe that someone added ginger to the one above.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: olden Delicious aka Yellow Delcious

• pappabell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yea,I figure ginger is just a add on too.Seems like there would be more info on it,But im going to grow it next year anyway.Love a good orange tomato.But there aren't many that have a full tomato taste.Cant wait to try the orange strawberry next year.Valencia used to be a good one back 20 some years ago,but has been cross breeded now.And the true original has been lost I do believe.Wish I would have saved seed that first year I grew it.It used to be a gold color,but now all I can find is light orange.Often wonder tho if using kelp meal and having clover in between my rows that year had something to do with it !!!!

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

Love a good orange tomato.But there aren't many that have a full tomato taste.Cant wait to try the orange strawberry next year.Valencia used to be a good one back 20 some years ago,but has been cross breeded now.And the true original has been lost I do believe.Wish I would have saved seed that first year I grew it.It used to be a gold color,but now all I can find is light orange.

&&&&&

The first orange I ever grew was Amana Orange, but when Kellogg's Breakfast (KB) and its PL variant KBX came along I switched to them.

And I'll mention just a few real deep orange ones that I really like in addition to the above.

Earl of Edgecombe
    Orange Minsk
    Jaune Flammee

I was also the one who introduced Orange Strawberry, seeds to me from Majorie Morris of IND who had found it as a stray seed in a commercial pack of the varietiy Pineapple. Some like OS very well, and some like me find the flesh to be very dry.

And now Valentia, link at the bottom where you'll see that it has not been crossbred, but is the stable result of orderly selections of pre-existing varieties. And good thing that Tania contacted Rob Johnston at Johnny's to get the history since it was Johnny's that first introduced it.

There are quite a few seed sites that list Valentia, that you'll see from the link below.

Yes, I've grown it and don't really like the taste.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Valentia

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reviews and info. The name "golden delicious" sound more like an adjective than a name to me. So that is what I like to grow.

I am seriously into growing a gold/orange (delicious, obviously :-)) tomato next year. Maybe 2 varieties. I don't like those pale colored ones, no matter how good they taste. That is me.

So, I am almost decided on Kellogg's (KB not KBX).
    Another one that I am leaned to is Cherokee Golden" . Again, I love bi colors. There are plenty of plain pinks and reds to go around.

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

Another one that I am leaned to is Cherokee Golden" . Again, I love bi colors. There are plenty of plain pinks and reds to go around.

&&&&&

If you like the gold/red bicolors then do consider Big Rainbow, Lucky Cross,Virginia Sweets and Marizol Gold to name just a few I like.

You may think that there are plenty of pinks and reds to go around but not me.

When I severed all 4 quads in my right leg in Dec of 2004 which put me permanently in this walker I decided to seek out, for my annual seed offer elsewhere, varieties that would be new to all or most, and I've been very successful at doing that.

This past summer the folks who do seed production for me had a choice of:

Four new ones from Valerian in Romania
    Two new ones from the Republic of Georgia
    Eight new ones from Reinhard in Germany
    Six new ones from Andrey in Belarus
    Four new ones from Turkey
    Two new ones from Bulgaria
    Four new ones from Slovenia

The above I remember but there are more.

And too many new ones to list from folks in the US, most new family heirlooms.

And all pinks or reds, let alone some so called blacks and green when ripes , golds, oranges as well from US folks.

I've been doing these seed offers with ones new to all or most since about 2005 so in the last almost 10 years I've introduced lots of new ones, most listed by Tania now at her superb data base website,

It's time for me to turn over to someone else doing these seeds offers and he will start with the 2016 one since he retires as a teacher this next summer.

I'll still be in charge of seeking out new ones since I now have many many contacts in other countries, as well as in the US and Canada, but he will do all the seed packing and sending, which is very laborious,

The 2014 SSE Yearbook is also the last time I will be listing anything in the SSE Yearbooks.

I've been doing large seed offers since about 2000 and at age 75 and now homebound, it really is time to let someone else do all the work, which is a lot since participants from outside the US can e-mail me which ones they want and I pay the postage to all out side the US, which os not cheap, while those in the US send me a SASE/

So no, I do not think there are ones already available of the pinks and reds to go around.

Is there a perfect tomato for me? No, and that's what has kept me going all these decades growing so many varieties.

Carolyn

• pappabell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ive grown the Earl of Edgecombe and Jaune Flammee but not the Orange Minsk.The Earl was not my cup of tea and the Jaune was too small.I have seeds for all 3.Maybe I should try the Orange Minsk(which I havnt grown yet,seems to always get knocked of my list every year for some reason,maybe because of its looks)and the KBX.But ive all ready got my list set for next year.Guess ill have to go thru my list AGAIN to see if there are two I can knock off to make room for these two,HaHa......I have 2 1/2 acres,so I guess I could just add the two,but 60 plants is all ready too much,,,Ughhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

Pappabell, now that I've shown you the link about Valentia, which is the one you liked so much years ago and is the same today with several seed sources, why don't you go back and grow Valentia as well?

True, orange Minsk is not a beautiful looking tomato, most of the time, but speaking for myself, Igrow tomatoes primarily for taste, yield comes next and where I live there are almost no soilborne systemic diseases, just the foliage diseases which ANY variety, OP or hybrid can get depending on the geographic location and any particular season.

Carolyn

• pappabell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Taste is first for me too,I have boughten Valencia seeds from many many sources,everybody that sells it in the entire country,trying to find that dark gold colored Valencia tomato that I grew back in the 80s.But to no avail.All have been a lighter orange color.And the flavor not near as good.Guess its possible they had crossed with another tomato,but highly unlikely,since all of the fruits on the plant were the same.Still think it had something to do with kelp meal and clover between the rows that year.Might have been a miss labeled pkg of seeds too,but really don't think soo.Ive grown many many many orange tomatoes,and none to date have been like that one was.I wish soo bad that I was saving seeds back then,because I guarantee you,id still be growing it to this day if I did.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH