Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharonrossy

Yellow shoulders what's up?

sharonrossy
10 years ago

I'm growing Cuor Di Bue and while its pumping out tomatoes the shoulders are yellow and only about 2/3rd of the tomato is getting ripe. The ripe part is fine but I can't figure out what's wrong?

Comments (6)

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

See link below and also pictures,

A very common problem.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow Shoulders

• sharonrossy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Carolyn, I was hoping you would answer. Hope your feeling better. Judging from the links you sent, I'd say it is the exposure to the sun b/c as you know CDB has wispy foliage and the tomatoes are very exposed. The Anna Russians aren't having that issue. They seem to have denser wispy foliage if that makes any sense!
    Sharon

• seysonn
    10 years ago

deleted ...contents

This post was edited by seysonn on Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 2:19

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I see. This is not the same as GREEN shoulder.

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Sharon, I see maybe one link that says too much sun, most speak of other environmental reasons for yellow shoulders. And if you look at the pictures at various links you'll see that it's mostly large beefsteak types that are susceptible to it.

And they aren't ones with wispy, droopy, dissected foliage.

Over the years I've seen it many times, not every season, and just ignore it b'c as several of the links say, it's really been impossible to ID a single cause.

I would suggest reading mainly those sites from Cornell and other places where the address has .edu in it.

Annoying when it happens? For sure. But again, in my experience it never affects ALL of the tomato varieties in the same season.

Carolyn

• sharonrossy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Carolyn
    I have read over the different links and considering the CDB was the ant that I had a lot of problems with BER it's not surprising. Like you mentioned its not affecting my other plants. I'm happy to report that after much worrying about Anna Russian it has produced some very beautiful and delicious fruit. And that is one wispy plant!