Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
punkrotten

What kind of tomato is this?

PunkRotten
12 years ago

Hi,

I got this tomato out of a package at the store labeled " baby heirloom tomatoes"

{{gwi:1390311}}

{{gwi:1390312}}

{{gwi:1390313}}

Comments (6)

• behlgarden
    12 years ago

it looks like chocolate stripe but in cherry size.

• PunkRotten
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It is a small cherry-like tomato. The only thing I thought it looked close to was Violet Jasper. But I don't think it is. The taste of it is sweet.

• PunkRotten
    Original Author
    12 years ago

How about black zebra?

• dickiefickle
    12 years ago

A slicer

• carolyn137
    12 years ago

What you have is a product distributed by Melissa's in CA and although they represent them as heirloom tomatoes I can tell you that your striped one is not one that would meet the definition of an heirloom whatever definition is used.

If you really want to know if it even has a known name I suggest you contact Melissa's and see if they will ID it for you, and I say if b'c I'm not even sure they know at this point what it is.

Melissa's is a high end wholesaler of fruits and vegetables and in the past have even invented names for some varieties that already have names. ( smile)

There's almost a similar situation in Europe where a company in the Netherlands is sending pints of mixed cherries and the good fortune there is that someone I know well in Germany got a pint and was intrigued with what looked like a mini cherry Green Zebra.

He was able to trace the shipment back to the Netherlands but not the company producing them and ended ip naming this cherry Green Zebra Cherry, and I love it.

Green Zebra has never been a favoite of mine and this one that looks like it is so sweet and lucious and also produces a lot. I've been offering seeds for it for the past two years in a seed offer I do elsewhere and if you go to Tania's T-base, via Google, I think you might see some other places that are now offering it. I didn't take the time to check b/c a T-storm is almost here.

What do you think of the taste of that wee striped one?

Have I got a deal for you. LOL How about you save about 30 seeds and I'll send you back 30 seeds of Green Zebra Cherry?

I need that many seeds b'c although I've grown several thousands of tomato varieties I fell in Dec of 2004 and now have to use a walker so there are three folks who help me with seed production and one who raises all my plants for me for at home and someone else does all tha gardening here.

If this interests you please contact me at cmale@aol.com and tell me either yes or no, so I know where things are at.

Thanks ever so much.

Oh, and I'm not a general source of Green Zebra Cherry to anyone other than user name Punk Rotten, gotta love that use name. LOL

Carolyn, who can also throw in a not well known great black cherry as well, as a teaser. ( smile)

Here is a link that might be useful: Baby Heirloom Tomatoes ( Melissa's)

• PunkRotten
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi,

I did save some seeds but I only had one of these tomatoes out of the whole package. So I did not get many. I will have to count how many I got. The package to these tomatoes had a website called martinezandsonsproduce.com . I tried to contact them but got no reply.

The package had other cherry-like tomatoes; stuff like yellow pear, chocolate cherry, grape tomato etc. There was a few small orange and yellow tomatoes but I didn't bother on trying to ID or save any seeds. I only saved this one because it was interesting.