Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone else got the end of tomato season blues?

Posted by ladon (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 26, 11 at 18:13

"All the leaves are brown (on my tomato plants)
And the sky is grey..."
- Mamas and the Papas

...And the forum posts are slowing down... I love growing my tomatoes, but I also love talking about them. LOL! I know that sounds kinda silly, but I work long hours in an office, and I love checking this forum a couple of times a day... Makes me feel a bit more connected to the outdoors while I'm working away. When the tomato season ends for most of us, the forum gets kinda slow too. The family just doesn't get as excited about the gardening stuff as I do. Anyone else miss the discussions during the slow months?
Don

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone else got the end of tomato season blues?

I lost my tomatoes to squirrels. now that days are getting shorter, I leave home when its dark and by the time I get home its about to get dark and I dont get to spend as much time out in garden other than in weekends. I think weekday activity is going to slowdown further.

Miss the anticipation of seeing new blooms, setting of tomato fruits, and changing of color from green to pale pink.

o

I have my last planting just about ready to pop!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

They are just starting to ripen.
Photobucket

75-80's for highs, 48-55's for lows for the next 15 days.

Jay

o

here in zone 8 I'm hoping to harvest till late november... then start again in april.

o

Dear Don don't despair
We are still growing tomatoes here.
I need all your help to win the biggest tomato competition another year.

Keep logging on and talking to me, max in Australia as our season is just starting. I've been planting into soil only in the last week. Planted BW, Giant Belgium, Giant Syrian, Delicious, seeds from last years winner plus many of the yummy ones talked about on this forum. Keep logging, We all want your expertise.
Cheers max

o

I used to get sad but then I discovered seed trading. The seed saving and trading and then seed starting etc. seems to keep me busy all year.

Jealous about the fantastic greenhouse!

o

Jay is that EMT that you are using for the greenhouse? That's what it looks like to me anyway. I used EMT for a cold frame but thought it might be too flimsy for a greenhouse.

o

I just pulled out all my tomato plants to make room for some fall planting. I feel a little relieved actually... I can only spend so many days canning tomatoes!

o

Wertach,

It is 16 gauge 1.315 diameter pipe. It is just a heavier gauge of chainlink fence top rail. We bent them with an EMT pipe bender. I did use some EMT for crossbraces.

You can see more of my hoop houses at my website. I put the link below.

Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: Jay's Jellies

o

That's a good idea, it's a little thinner than rigid, and same OD so it should bend fairly easy and be strong. That rigid is tough to bend!

Is that real White Lightning that you have for sale? ;)

o

No, it is made with White Habaneros and white bell pepper. It will heat you up though.

Jay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here