Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do leaf branches die below ripened clusters?

Posted by nopeda123 none (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 3, 12 at 19:27

This is my first time with ripening tomatoes, and at this point it appears to me that the leaf branch below each cluster of ripening fruit is dying. Is that the case, and if so, should those branches be trimmed off when the tomatoes above them begin to ripen?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do leaf branches die below ripened clusters?

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 4, 12 at 20:35

No not on my plants, but the bottom leaves will die when the heat gets high. My plants are over 6 feet & new growth is growing horizontally with blooms & green tomatoes.
But the bottom leaves are brown & dried up.

o
RE: Do leaf branches die below ripened clusters?

While there is no reason to leave dead branches on a plant there is also no reason to remove branches that are not dead. That holds true regardless of where they are located on the plant. The one common exception is removing any lower branches that are in contact with the ground.

Do branches below a ripened cluster automatically die? No.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here