Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hothabanerolady

Yellow tomatoes in Maryland

HotHabaneroLady
10 years ago

My local farmers market has gotten me hooked on yellow tomatoes. Next year, I plan on growing mortgage lifter red tomatoes, and I'd like to find a good, indeterminate medium to large slicer to grow as well. I'm in Maryland zone 7a. Does anyone have favorite varieties in similar climates?

Comments (10)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

In Maryland, zone 7a, you can grow just about any variety you want, from early, mid and late season varieties. Probably you have longer than 6 months of frost-free growing seasons.

If you liked what your Farmers Market seller has/had, just ask him what he thinks is best in your climate. Plus, he might sell you seedlings next spring.

• HotHabaneroLady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know there are tons of options and I probably will be asking the farmers what they grow the next time I'm at the farmers market! But I like to experiment with different varieties and I thought it would be nice to see what other people's favorites are! Frankly, my problem right is too many choices.

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Below is a link to ML Red, which was bred by Dr. Jeff McCormack, the former owner of SESE. What was the source of your seeds? Known seed sources are given in the link below.

But I'm not sure why you mentioned Red Mortgage Lifter when your thread was about yellow tomatoes and asked for some suggestions. There is a Mortgage Lifter Yellow but it's a typical gold/red bicolor, one of over maybe 200 known varieties.

There are very few varieties with yellow as part of the variety name that ripen up yellow, most with yellow in the name ripen up gold at maturity and sometimes a light orange.

Lillian's Yellow Heirloom is one that does ripen yellow b'c it has a clear epidermis.

So if you're open to suggestions of varieties that ripen up other than clear yellow, I'd be glad to make some suggestions/

What were the names of the yellow varieties you got from that Farmer's Market?

Hope that helps,

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Mortgage Lifter Red

• jimster
    10 years ago

Aunt Gertie's Gold is a large, indeterminate, good tasting yellow that I have grown three times. My friends and I like it very much. BTW, it is a late tomato.

Jim

• tatreanna
    10 years ago

I like Elbe tomatoes. They are late-season, indeterminate, beefsteak type. It has a nice tangy flavor and potato-shaped leaves, which I like because they're a little bit different.

I'd be happy to send you a few seeds. They just dried out from fermenting.
    Caran

• HotHabaneroLady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Caran, I'd love to try the Elbe tomatoes. If it wouldn't be too much trouble to send some seeds, that would be wonderful! But how do I send my mailing address to you without posting it for all to see?

Carolyn173: I'm sorry. What I meant to say was that I'm planning to grow the mortgage lifter and I'd like to find a good, indeterminate, medium to large *yellow* slider to go with it. Yes, I'd love additional suggestions even if they are not a true clear yellow. I'm very aware that plant colors are always only approximations. I'm growing purple sage and it is not exactly a true purple either. It's more "purplish."

Hopefully I will know the exact variety tomorrow. The farmers market is only a Thursday market!

• bb
    10 years ago

I've been growing Striped German tomatoes in MD for years with much success, not a good processing tomato, but excellent for fresh eating. I'm gonna try stuffing a few this weekend

"Flat, medium to large, variably ribbed-shoulder tomatoes are shaded yellow and red. The marbled interior looks beautiful sliced. Complex, fruity flavor and smooth texture."

• bb
    10 years ago

^ does make a delicious tomato soup, yellow/orange tomato soup will get some wow's at the dinner table.

• HotHabaneroLady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Someone asked which variety the farmers had at the farmers market. I asked today and the answer was Carolina Golden. They taste delicious, but I will not be growing them because they are a determinate variety and I have a string preference for indeterminates. The Carolina Golden is also a hybrid, and I usually prefer heirlooms even though I do grow hybrids from time to time. :)

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Off the top of my head here's some faves in the Orange/Gold/Yellow group.

Aunt Gertie's Gold

Orange Minsk and also the heart version

Earl of Edgecombe

Jaune Flammee

Kellogg's Breakfast and its PL version KBX

Lillian's Yellow Heirloom,clear epidermis so ripens up yellow.

Yellow Brandywine (PLatfoot strain)

All are large fruited indeterminates.

Hope that helps and can pick my fave three, I think,if asked, that have done wonderfully for me in my zone 5 having been grown several times each.

Carolyn