Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantshipper

How much would you pay for a tomato plant?...

PlantShipper
10 years ago

I am growing around 2,000 plants this year, I am planting peppers, tomatoes, etc in my greenhouse! (Took the entire summer to build it! :D),

I was thinking around $1 each? But if I were to sell them online (and I know, I need to be certified, its all done), how much would you be willing to pay for uncommon & common plants? I still want to sell them for a $1 each, but with shipping, I could sell 10 plants for $19.99, or 20 plants for 34.99. Which would make the price from $1.75 to $2, shipping included, would you pay that for a plant? Around 6-12 inches?

Comments (4)

• fusion_power
    10 years ago

It depends on whether you ship them or not. You will find that about $3 per plant is the minimum you can charge when shipping. If you are selling out the front of your greenhouse, you can sell for between fifty cents and a dollar per plant depending on the size container they are in.

To calculate your cost, add in the cost of the container, cost of soil mix, cost of seed, cost of any nutrients added, cost of greenhouse operation, and a reasonable profit. As a baseline, you can grow plants in an 18 cell tray for about twenty-five cents each. You would then price them at about a dollar each to make a profit on the sale. If you then factor in cost of shipping, your price has to go up to $3 each to cover the cost of packaging materials, packing, and shipping.

This post was edited by fusion_power on Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 22:50

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Fusion has not shared with you that he has a superb website and ships plants to many places and has an outstanding reputation for quality plants and prices.

So I linked to his site below. Last I knew he also showed how he packs his plants as well.

I don't buy plants from anywhere, online or elsewhere, but I know that if I did I wouldn't buy any plants that were a foot high, I'd want plants in the maybe 6-9 inch range.

A good friend of mine does send me some plants from Raleigh and they do arrive in excellent shape, and are usually around 4 inches tall and all he does is to take the rootball and wrap the plants in newspaper, after putting film, call it saran wrap, over the rootball next to the stem and then folding over the top and bottom and stapling both shut. But he's also a very very experienced tomato grower. No, he doesn't sell plants.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Selected Plants

• dodge59
    10 years ago

Laurel of "Laurel's Heirloom Tomatoes" sells for a lot more than that, about $5.50 per plant~~~~~Plus shipping.

It was worth it to me because of the quality of the plants and She had the varieties I wanted.

Gary

• PlantShipper
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for your suggestions! Thanks especially for that link! Helped me with the packing plants part of this venture!