Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can Tomatoes survive thru winter?

Posted by biggjoe 5, Indiana (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 12, 10 at 21:28

I'm wondering if a healthy in-ground tomato plant that is trimed down and covered well could survive a cold Indiana winter.

I have a "Black Krim" plant that was planted in-ground in early May. I've watered deeply once a week so I know the roots run deep into my soil. Even now I've noticed that the plant is
growing new limbs and flowering on those limbs that are about 6" above the ground. This plant has outlasted most of my plants in SWC's

So I'm thinking what if I was to put clear plastic around the base of the plant to trap in as much heat as possible and then pile a bunch of mulch around the base and up the stem to hopefully keep it from freezing solid down to the roots this winter. I can even trim the plant down to where it's covered by the mulch.

I also remember my mother saying that she has planted Cherry tomatoes that come back year after year. So if Cherry tomatoes can come back, why can't other tomatoes?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can Tomatoes survive thru winter?

I don't think it will in your zone but it never hurts to try. I.m going for some small hoop houses on large raised containers. It will extend the season but doubt the tomatoes will survive the 0-10 degrees we often get. I've got a brandywine sucker that was given to me late in the season and would like a fruit or 2 for seeds next year. I think it just got a couple flowers pollinated. I could go as far as running warm water to them at a trickle if need be on colder days.

o

i agree they probably were volunteers that came back from the cherry tomatoes year after year i'm from new mexico which is nowhere near as cold as indiana and we couldn't get them to survive past thanksgiving if you really like the plant take a cutting and pot it and you be set for next spring...

o

OK, it will survive, it you want to jump through more hoops than Hula made. Build a frame around it, add a 100 watt light bulb or two, take the plastic off every so often and water the ground.

I'm in Cincy and I would never go through the trouble of even trying to overwinter an outdoor, in-ground plant. If it was a spectacular, award-winning, 12-foot tall plant that produced 55 pounds of fruit - yeah, take a cutting or at the least save some seeds. But try to deal with snowfalls/freezing rain that can amount to a foot or more, or temps in the minus single or double digits, soil that can freeze 6-7 inches deep in a normal year - no thanks! I would rather start from scratch.

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here