Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trudi_d

Wich toms do you like to use for a great tasting jiuce or sauce?

trudi_d
14 years ago

Today I cooked a large pot of sauce using Romeo Roma and threw in some Livingston's Gold Ball to add a bit of sweet. I just put it all through the mouli grater and it's still thin enough for juice (and just awesome too), but if I simmer it for another half hour it might be thick enough to freeze as sauce.

Tomorrow it will be a different set of maters from the garden as I start harvesting and cutting out the plants. The sauce will likely be a bit different simply because of the tomatoes but it will still be awesome. Homemade sauce just can't be beat!

Comments (15)

• zebraman
    14 years ago

When I am making sauce from the garden I like to use a combination of what I have on hand.I grew these this year-
    Jumbo Genoa- RL IND Heavy producer
    Russo Sicilian-RL IND Heavy Producer Stuffer, not paste but great taste
    Napoli RL IND , I would actually call this a large Det Some of my plants had over 100 tomatoes per plant. It is a 3-lobed Roma type.If you like cooking this is a Great tomato.
    I also grew : Hog Heart Paste-RL IND not a heavy producer a little sweet for my taste But I liked it over all. Few seeds.
    Polish Paste-RL IND Ribbed Pear shape
    Full Flavored Paste-RL IND Heavy Producer Strong taste this variety came from Tomatfest.
    I woundn't have even been interested in this company had it not been for several people that are always hinting about this place not being good, but nothing specific. This just made me want to buy a bunch of seeds from them and I am glad I did.
    And the weather the last couple of days here in S.CA have been balmy and tropical.

• zebraman
    14 years ago

When I am making sauce from the garden I like to use a combination of what I have on hand.I grew these this year-
    Jumbo Genoa- RL IND Heavy producer
    Russo Sicilian-RL IND Heavy Producer Stuffer, not paste but great taste
    Napoli RL IND , I would actually call this a large Det Some of my plants had over 100 tomatoes per plant. It is a 3-lobed Roma type.If you like cooking this is a Great tomato.
    I also grew : Hog Heart Paste-RL IND not a heavy producer a little sweet for my taste But I liked it over all. Few seeds.
    Polish Paste-RL IND Ribbed Pear shape
    Full Flavored Paste-RL IND Heavy Producer Strong taste this variety came from Tomatfest.
    I woundn't have even been interested in this company had it not been for several people that are always hinting about this place not being good, but nothing specific. This just made me want to buy a bunch of seeds from them and I am glad I did.
    And the weather the last couple of days here in S.CA have been balmy and tropical.

• tania_in_vancouver
    14 years ago

Polish Linguisa is my favorite. It is sweet, but I like sweet tomatoes also :)

Tania

Here is a link that might be useful: Polish Linguisa

• korney19
    14 years ago

I don't make tomato juice but:

I had 2 or 3 varieties that when cut, were like no other varieties. Whereas most have a juice in the locules that is usually clear, or clear-based, these few actually had a red color juice.

I will have to double check all my notes & pics. I think this is one, notice the juice is red:

{{gwi:1373916}}

I think another I recommended to an old internet friend/couple that do juice & canning, I will check my e-mails... it may have been Dutchman, Lithuanian or Tiffen Menonite...

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That looks nice.

I found out this morning that after sitting in the fridge that the juice/sauce tastes better ;-)

First night I made ghetti and meat sauce, the second night sauteed chicken breast with tom sauce and parmesan cheese to melt on top. This morning I drank a glass as juice and it seemed to be even more yum than before. Each day the volume has gone down in the pitcher by a third. It is covered by plastic wrap and the volume effected by any possible oxidation is less each time. Regardless of inventive cause or fantasy--this stuff just gets better each time I use it.

Korney, that is a very pretty tomato. Slurp.

T

• korney19
    14 years ago

Sounds good!

Another was Dutchman, a sweet pink; when I squeezed the seeds into a clear cup for fermenting, the juice was soooo red I could barely see the seeds!

{{gwi:1391374}}

• korney19
    14 years ago

Sorry, I was still on the juice aspect.

For sauce, we take whatever's ripe and run them thru a Spremy to make a puree, then do whatever with it.

{{gwi:951765}}

For a rich sauce, try Ernie's Plump, Joe's Plum, or many of the hearts.

Ernie's Plump
    {{gwi:1351705}}

Joe's Plum

{{gwi:1349488}}

• wordwiz
    14 years ago

If you want to can a bunch of thick juice and so not have room for lots of plants, you cannot beat Red Zebra. I have picked 15-18, 3-5 ounce tomatoes at least once a week from my plants. Lots of juice, a bit on the sweet side but after canning and letting the juice settle, there is maybe an inch of water in a 12" container.

Mike

• spiced_ham
    14 years ago

Its hard to tell because everything that is laying around ripe gets tossed in the pot, that being said I made a batch of white sauce last year with Great White and Limmony. It sat in the freezer all winter because I was scared to eat it (Limmony has a pronounced Sweet-Tart flavor). When I finally made spaghetti sauce with it it was the best, although parmesan cheese on top clashed a little bit. Limmony's flavor is definitely not good for making chili, but it adds a zing to pasta sauce that is missing from sauce made from "eating" tomatoes so I'm going to grow a couple of plants each year just so I can add a few to each batch of sauce.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    14 years ago

If you like a light, "fruity" juice, Garden Peach (the fuzzy one) makes a fabulous tomato juice! Perfect for healthy smoothies.

Carla in Sac

• taz6122
    14 years ago

I think just about everyone likes their own homemade sauce and juice(don't care for fresh tom juice myself) and we get better every year, but I used just jelly bean and large fruited red cherry this year and it was fantastic. Probably too sweet for some for sauce though, but if you like fresh tom juice I'm sure you would like jelly bean. I think I dropped a tobasco pepper(washed with toms) or two in the last batch of sgetti sauce I made because it was spicier than usual but still very good.

• containerted
    14 years ago

I've found that the Black Tomatoes 60% with 40% Red,Pink,Yellow,Gold varieties produces the ultimate flavor for this family. Yesterday's efforts used Cherokee Chocolate, Indian Stripe, JD's Special C-Tex, and Huge Black with a bunch of Saladette sized others including Golden Dwarf Champion, Azoychka, Sibirskiy Skorospelyi, Agatha, Ramapo F6, and Bradley. I also threw in a bunch of cherries (5 different varieties). A little salt and pepper, some garlic and a bit of onion powder and cooked it down about 1/3.

With this base, I can make sauces or salsa. I've managed to put away 30 quarts of the base and 12 pints of salsa from my super-limited space Bucket Farm.

I agree with the post not too far above that the taste is very personal. I can definitely tell you that all of the recipes and combinations above beat the stuff in the cans and jars at the supermarket.

Ted

• azruss
    14 years ago

My best juice this year came from ripe Stupice, and it was an accidental discovery. I was overrun with them from two very productive plants and decided to try cooking them. WOW! It's all gone now, but I remember sipping a cup of hot Stupice juice straight out of the pot with a dash of salt, and wondering if maybe I had just died and gone to heaven.

• helenh
    14 years ago

azruss could you explain how you made this juice? This may not be the place for cooking instructions. It is your fault for describing it that way.

• sgtdraven
    14 years ago

Containerted can I get your recipe?