Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
better boy tomatoes cracking on top ...

Posted by djonesc zone 6/98901 - easte (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 22:52

live in 57580 (south dakota) ... planted about 12 better boy tomatoes and they are cracking on top ... i use soaker hoses rather than overhead watering ... what possibly could be wrong and how can i remedy it???

thanks so much for any help ....

darlene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: better boy tomatoes cracking on top ...

Some kinds are more likely to crack than others.
Circular cracks near the stems tend to be genetic.
Cracks for stem to blossom end often occur with erratic water supply which can occur even with soakers.

o

Cut back on watering , and yes some varieties are more prone to cracking

o

Also, if they are cracking after color break, why not pick them soon after color break and let them ripen inside. This way there will be no spoilage and maybe tastier (less water).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here