Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brian94_gw

Rutgers Tomato Advice Needed

brian94
15 years ago

I started out today trying to get some info on saving seeds from Jet Star Tomatoes and ended up being slightly intrigued during my search by what I was reading about Rutgers. I don't believe I've ever had a Rutgers before but it sounds delicious. Some of the descriptions I read claimed that it was a indeterminate plant and others claim it is determinate. Can anyone shed some light on that? I'm also interested in saving the seeds and sharing them with family and friends if they grow well in my area. Is that possible with this variety? I was thinking about ordering the seeds through Burpee. Check out the link at the bottom of this post to see my selection. Thanks for any help and advice.

Brian

Here is a link that might be useful: Rutgers (Heirloom) At Burpee

Comments (29)

• brian94
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks alot for the info Dave, but I don't see the link that you mentioned. I could have overlooked it. It surely wouldn't be the first time for something like that:)

• carolyn137
    15 years ago

I think maybe Dave was going to link to TGS where the two most common Rutgers are listed, so I did below.

Rutgers was first released in 1928 as an indeterminate and rereleased in 1933 as a det/semi-det. Fedco seeds says they have the original ind form, but since it was a very popular commercial variety I think most commercial farmers went with the det/semi-det form. And so did home growers.

In the SSE YEarbook there are about 8 different versions of Rutgers, or close to it. Seeds available to SSE members only.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Two Rutgers

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Ooops! sorry. Senior moment. ;) Forgot to include it. Thanks Carolyn. That's the one I meant to include.

Dave

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Brain - I should also add that you can't go wrong with either form. We prefer the determinate and as Carolyn said it likely is the more commonly used but it just depends on which form of plant you'd prefer.

In our climate here even the determinate will usually kick in with a later, smaller, 2nd crop so it works out great for canning batches. We have a neighbor who gardened in northern Indiana for many years and he often talks about how it was the best performer there year in and year out. So unless you are way north Michigan I would think it would do well for you too.

Hope you like it. ;)

Dave

• elkwc
    15 years ago

Brian I know myself and several others have had great results with Burpee seeds. So if there is something there you like I would highly recommend them. Good quality, high germination seeds with great customer service. There are many good places to buy seeds and I've used at least 20 of them in the past 2 years so have my views of most out there. JD

• colokid
    15 years ago

Interesting discussion to me since just this week, in diging in my boxes, I came up with 5 packets of Rutgers seeds. Green Valley seed Co -- run no. 19, packed for 1992. I have some test seeds in a tray to see if they are still OK. If so, I will plant a couple next year. Wonder which they are? the old original Determinate?
    Kenny

• doublej
    15 years ago

Brian,

I just got in a pack of Rutgers seeds from TGS last week. I got the "Indeterminate" variety. I would be more than happy to trade you some seeds. I got 30 in this pack and there is no possible way I will use all 30 in the 4-5 years before they go bad. This would be a good way to try this variety on the cheap!!!

• jwr6404
    15 years ago

doublej
    I have lots of tomatoes on my Determinate Rutgers plant and expect to save seeds if your interested in trying them. by the way did you receive my e-mail to your navy mailbox?

• carolyn137
    15 years ago

I just got in a pack of Rutgers seeds from TGS last week. I got the "Indeterminate" variety

TGS lists #4050 Rutger's VFA as determinate and the Rutger's Select, a selection of Rutgers VFA would be det as well I'm pretty sure.

Carolyn

• doublej
    15 years ago

jwr, I never have recieved your email. I cannot figure out why since I have 3 emails from others here. strange. Please try again or maybe just use the "Send user an email" feature on my profile page. https://auth.gardenweb.com/members/doublej

Carolyn,

I was just going by what it said when I ordered.

Rutgers Select #3695 (30 seeds) $2.25
    A long time favorite variety bearing medium sized, round fruit. Indeterminate. 78 days.

• brian94
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the help everyone. This is great. Thanks for the offer doublej but I don't have anything to trade. Although I've been planting, growing, and canning veggies for thirty years plus, this is all new to me. I didn't realize seed swapping was out there until yesterday. It all started when my neighbor wanted a few of my Jet Star seeds to try and start next year. I told him they were hybrids and didn't think it would work but I would look it up on the internet. Well here I am, and boy is he going to be surprised. Anyhow, I'm going to go with the Rutgers Select #3695 indeterminate because I do like to can in batches and I love to eat tomatoes all season until they're coming out of my ears. It helps hold me over until next season. Are the seeds from these plants able to be saved and still grow the same type of plant the following years? That would be a heirloom or open-pollinated I believe.

• doublej
    15 years ago

Brian,

Email me your address and I'll send you about 10 seeds. No charge.

• carolyn137
    15 years ago

Are the seeds from these plants able to be saved and still grow the same type of plant the following years? That would be a heirloom or open-pollinated I believe

Brian, Rutger's is OP so seeds can be saved but to be sure they don't get cross pollinated please go to the FAQ link at the top of this first page and read the article about preventing Cross pollination.

I grew up with Rutgers on the family farm and think it's very good but there are others of the same type that I think I like even more and I'll mention just one, an important commercial variety in years past, and that's Break O Day.

Carolyn

• brian94
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the pointer to the FAQ section Carolyn. I should have stopped by there in the first place. It was a very good read and answered a couple more questions I had. I knew I had to protect the heirlooms but wasn't sure how. Now I know. Now I'm off to find some Break O Day seeds. We'd talked about planting tomatoes by my father's back patio. I'll put those there to guarantee a good separation. Thanks again.

Brian

• carolyn137
    15 years ago

Now I'm off to find some Break O Day seeds

Listed by Sandhillpreservation.com but please note when you can order.

Glenn also lists many other great older commercial varieties.

Carolyn

• doublej
    15 years ago

Brian,

Your seeds went into the mailbox today.

• elkwc
    15 years ago

Brian,
    I have some Break O Day I could send you ten or so of. They are from Baker Creek. Another site you can visit. They are on my grow list for next year but have plenty of seeds. Just pm me your address.. I know email doesn't always work on this site so you can send it to paynequarterhorses@elkhart.com JD

• denninmi
    15 years ago

Brian, I see you're in SE Michigan, as I am. If you need additional seeds for Rutgers next year, it is commonly sold on the 10 cent seed racks every spring at Wal-Mart, ACO Hardware stores, Big Lots, and Walgreens. This seems to be the indeterminate strain, as mine always get quite large. I usually try to grow this one, since it is a favorite of my 83 year old mother, something she remembers from her childhood in the 1930's on a working vegetable farm.

You really can't go wrong for 10 cents. Usually, the packages have between 20 and 30 seeds in them, sometimes more depending upon the seed company. Quite a bargain, in my humble opinion.

Dennis
    SE Michigan

• brian94
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm working afternoons for seven days so I'm in my own time zone. Thanks for all the replies.

Thanks for the direction again Carolyn. I did some more searching and found some Break O Day at uniquetomatoseeds. I didn't see any indication that they weren't in stock
    so maybe I can have them in my grubby hands soon.

Doublej, thanks very much again. You're the first person to send me seeds in this new found community. Being my first, I'll never forget you. (I mean that in a manly sort of way.)

Elkwc, thanks very much for the offer but I'm trying to actually buy some seeds so I can make some kind of a contribution. You people seem so generous it's giving me a complex. Don't write me off though. If uniquetomatoseeds doesn't have them in stock I'll give you a shout.

Dennis, you just named about every store in the Fort Street, Allen Road, West Road area. And that just happens to be in my neighborhood. I never really checked the seed racks that much unless it was for pumpkin or some type of squash. I'm just so used to going to the local nurseries and grabbing my already-started favorites, I wasn't aware of all of the other choices. Maybe we'll see each other in one of those places in the early spring. I know I'll be there for sure. Thanks for the tip.

• brian94
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well.... I had to update my Paypal account but I was able to order the Break O Day seeds from uniquetomatoseeds. I'll keep you informed.

• doublej
    15 years ago

Doublej, thanks very much again. You're the first person to send me seeds in this new found community. Being my first, I'll never forget you. (I mean that in a manly sort of way.)

ROFL!!!!

• lindafranks_bellsouth_net
    13 years ago

I have wilt problems every year am moving my growing area this spring.Does rutgers have a wilt resistent variety? If so what are they? thanks Dan

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Lets BUMPT it.

A 7 year old thread. some useful info. But it was dropped without any further follow up as what happened with the OP.

I thing, I also planted Rutgers once, about 2008 ?9?. I remember that it was more like DET. I bought the seedlings (4 pack) then. Never saved seeds.

Anyway, I have Rutgers on my 2015 grow list and look forward to it. As I recall, its tomatoes were very tasty, dark red, round and about 8 oz. And that is what I want.
    So, this thread might just persuade you to grow RUTGERS in 2015. There is still time to do it. :-)

Seysonn

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I have also got Rutgers seeds, not knowing what to expect.!?!
    My question is how can one variety , by a single name, developed by a single source can be both DET and INDET? Unless you get an intentional or accidental cross. But then the cross should be identified lik KB and KBX.
    So is the indet version is a RUTGERS-X?

Seysonn

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

As Carolyn posted above:

Rutgers was first released in 1928 as an indeterminate and rereleased in 1933 as a det/semi-det. Fedco seeds says they have the original ind form, but since it was a very popular commercial variety I think most commercial farmers went with the det/semi-det form. And so did home growers.

In the SSE YEarbook there are about 8 different versions of Rutgers, or close to it.

They all have tags such as VF, Select, #4050, #3695, etc. VFA #4050 is determinate, Select is indeterminate (seeds were selected from plants displaying indeterminate growth), 4055TO Rutgers (Fedco) is indeterminate .

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Fedco Rutgers

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Ok. Thanks Dave.
    So I doubt that somebody tried to continue with indet form since 1933. I got my seeds from SSS on special request (not in their listing) and they just marked the packet "Rutgers".

Seysonn

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Rutgers is one of the enduring heirlooms. I have heard it is one of the parents of Burpee's latest hybrid called "Jersey Boy". So this make Rutgers Jersey papa or mama. :-)
    I have grown Rutgers before (Store bought plants). But it was long time ago. The same year I also planted Black Krim, Brandywine, Juliet , Golden Jubilee, Better Boy for the first time. That was 6 or 7 years ago. Now Rutgers is coming back this year.

Seysonn
    Here is a picture borrowed from internet.

• PupillaCharites
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

In my personal opinion Marglobe tastes better but both are tasty old time tomatoes and are great workhorses if I don't want many hybrids to round out the choices, it is really nice to have one of these for the production. Mine are semideterminate from saved seed I originally got from the local feed store. They buy them in bulk from one of the commercial seed companies. I don't remember which, since they don't write the source on the seed and could have changed for this season. I always thought the feed store would get the strain best suited for local conditions (hot and humid) but maybe I'm hoping for too much ;-) Homestead is really an improved Rutgers for heat and humidity, and seems to have a similar flavor, but not quite as good.

I have Rutgers in my starting line-up this year. I'm growing it in memory of a childhood friend who got into Rutgers despite having a handicap that made studying difficult and was able to graduate. The handicap took his life and the best idea I could come up with was to grow a Rutgers plant and name it for him.

PC

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio