Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best -tasting tomatoes with least seeds?

Posted by peebee1 10 (s.lenzini@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Sep 2, 09 at 23:54

Couldn't find the posting I saw once with this subject, I am looking for heirlooms with least amount of seeds. An example, for me so far, is KBX and Kellogg's Brkfst. Saw a pic of Orange Strawberry here, beautiful and few seeds.
All colors, but need a green one too. Green Zebra had way too many seeds, no meat. I make a lot of salsa so the fewer the seeds, the better. No paste varieties please. Too much BER.
Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Suzie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best -tasting tomatoes with least seeds?

Dr. Wyche Yellow has very few seeds.

My solution this year for NO BER was

2 cups of Espoma Garden Lime,
1 cup of Bone Meal and
2 cups of Espoma TomatoTone

All this mixed into the top 6 inches of potting mix one week before planting. I plant in containers. This worked great in 10 gallon containers and should work for inground tomato plants. My San Marzano Redorta (Seeds from Italy) had NO BER. I grow this San Marzano variety because it has almost NO seeds and I hate tomato seeds.

DL

o

Rose Tomato is large like Brandywine and has 10-12 seeds per froit. It's more productive and tastes better than Brandywine also. I grow a half dozen greeb var.s but all of them are seedy.

o

I find that Cherokee Purple usually has very few seeds compared to the other heirlooms. So few that I never bother to remove them and I don't like seeds.

o

Most any of the wispy leafed heart shapes are very meaty with few seeds, like the Orange Strawberry you mentioned. For a green, I didn't really pay attention, but don't remember Green Giant or Grub's Mystery Green having a lot of seeds. Personally, I don't mind the seeds, since often the gel surrounding them is what gives the tomatoes it's salty acid zing.

o

Ddsack, I must be gifted because I can grow Orange Strawberry, and Red and get BER even though they are supposed to be resistant to it. However, this year I planted Sheboygan, a wispy leafed-pink-paste type...and not a single one with BER. It does have fewer seeds, and as an added bonus, the flavor isn't bland like other pastes.

o

Beefsteak!

o

I second "Rose."

o

* Posted by zebraman 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 3, 09 at 16:59

> Rose Tomato is large like Brandywine and has 10-12 seeds per froit. It's more productive and tastes better than Brandywine also. I grow a half dozen greeb var.s but all of them are seedy. <

AKA "Red Rose" as in this link? I've been thinking about trying this one. If not this one, do you have a link?
-WC

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Growers (late varieties)

o

o

Without a doubt, "ASHLEIGH". Out of 8 fruits, each weighing in the pound range I had a total of 15 seeds. This variety is all meat! And it puts out the Toms! I grew it in a 7 gal container.

o

Thanks everyone, I will defintely try most of the types mentioned above. Is Ashleigh easily available here in the US? I searched briefly, but could not find it.

So sad when the end of summer comes, no more tomatoes till next year...

o

Ashleigh's history from Tatania's TOMATObase:

Neil Gillard from Ontario, Canada (ONT GI N) got the seed from friends at Wilber Lake, Ontario, who in turn got it from their neighbour. This variety originally came unnamed from Lazec, Macedonia, and Neil decided to name it after his niece Ashleigh.

More info at:
http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Ashleigh

It's mentioned a lot in Google, so apparently a lot of people are growing it or discussing it. It doesn't seem to be carried by any major commercial vendors yet. However, Remy has it at The Sample Seed Shop:
http://sampleseeds.com/?page_id=65

Another source for variety info:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/129379/

o

Red Rose is actually pink; it's an older variety that was a Rutgers x Brandywine cross.

o

Hey Woodcutter2008; I got my Rose seeds from here
http://virtual.clemson.edu/groups/seed/heirloom.htm
Ashleigh is good too but I prefer the taste of Rose better.

o

Sorry about that, it should have read...

Here is a link that might be useful: Clemson/edu

o

I cast my vote for Cleota Pink. It put out beautiful fruit with few seeds. Certainly more than Ashleigh, but not many. Best tasting tomato in my garden this year. In my SWCs, they were about 1.5 pounds each. In ground at my Dad's place, they were 2 pounds each. No BER.

TK

o

MOST of the heart varieties have very few seeds. One is Slankard's--it also won Biggest Tomato at the 2009 Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest.

o

Hey Tkordenbrock; I have "Cleota Pink" from Mariseeds, but have yet to grow. How is the taste? Sweet/mild or Tangy/Robust? The Photo on Mariseeds shows a monster but I am assuming most are smaller. What is your experience?

o

Last year I grew Green Sausage - very few seeds and not a lot of juice. The children love the tomato for salsa.

Mike

o

best tasting with no seeds?

Wes!

Tania

Here is a link that might be useful: Wes

o

ty for this post my wife got diviticluaites (or whatever you spell it ) and she cannot have seeds she like large to beefsteak ones with plenty meat on them and hope fing some with few seeds any one got ideas on them sort of tomatoes i can grow i got a few ideas from thsi post

ty

o
RE: Best -tasting omatoes with least seeds?

ps or large to beefsteak one with thick walls to them as we can hollow out the middle and use the thick walls

o

oldpot, a friend of mine had diverticulitis. e-mail me thru my MyPage link, I see you didn't have any way to contact you through GW. I have about 500 varieties and should be able to find some great tasting ones that don't have many seeds, including many mentioned above already.

o
RE: Best -tasting tomtoes with least seeds?

ty
korney19 i have emailed you and thank you for trying to find some tomatoes that will help the wife

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here