Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
suggested heirloom tomato for growing in greenhouse in the tropic

Posted by tomatoesinthetropics 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 11, 12 at 2:58

we are organic farmers in the tropics and would like to grow heirloom tomatoes in our greenhouse. the temperature is perfect but the actual sunlight hours is only about 10 per day. We are near the equator and at 700+ meters. Curretntly growing Red Brandywine..so far so good, but would like other suggestions. Tomatoes are staked and grow in large bags. thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: suggested heirloom tomato for growing in greenhouse in the tr

Any fruit color or size preferences? Determinates or indeterminates?

If not then consider Black Krim, Rostova (or just about any of the oxheart's) and Eva Purple Ball.

Check out all the recommendations in the thread linked below.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: favorite heirlooms

o

I am in the subtropics and having good luck with Cherokee Purples. Great taste and decent producer!

o

thank alot for your suggestions..ya, looking for indeterminate heirloom varieties that are grown in bags in the greenhouse. the link was helpful. We are on the island of java. thanks!

o

Just a suggestion that you may not like but my cherry types keep producing in higher temps whan many other heirloom varietys just drop blossoms. Picking Black Cherry is more labor intensive but harvests are continuous and dependable.

If you don't like the cherry fruit option the next best producers are the smaller fruited types. Pink or Red Ruffled, Japanese Black Trifele, or Eva Purple Ball are reasonable choices.

I'm growing close to 200 heirloom varieties in a greenhouse setting where summer temps. often reach 100F in the daytime and they all produce fruit, most at levels that meet my satisfaction, some less. I shy away from anything with "Brandywine" in the name.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here