Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aakalan

Total wipeout this year!

aakalan
11 years ago

I am so disappointed.

I planted seven plants in 5 gallon planters, fed and watered them religiously, and they thrived. In fact, they turned out to be the most lush and productive plants I've ever planted. Most are six-foot tall or taller at this writing (Oct 8). Not bad for container-grown tomato plants!

So what's the problem? Well, I planted early (for here) on May 14. I planted Beefmaster, Brandywine, Celebrity and Big Beef to see which ones would be best to plant in the future.

But they all failed in the same way. They set tons of gorgeous fruit. Beautiful, big, healthy fruit. But only 8 ripened. Some sat on the vine for months, literally, without getting even a slight blush of color. From approximately 100 fruit, only 8 ripened, and the plants are still full of mature, healthy fruit that will have to be pulled, green, in the next day or two before the freeze sets in and kills the plants.

Why didn't my tomatoes ripen???? Never had anything like this happen before. These were the best plants I've ever grown, but the total yield of ripe fruit: only 8!!

I would have done better at the grocery store.

Should I just give up trying? Is it climate (upstate New York, Binghamton area), did I do something wrong? Never seen healthy plants and fruit that just wouldn't ripen.

See photo - taken about six weeks ago... Any advice appreciated. I'm at the end of my rope here.

Comments (3)