Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red House Tomato

Posted by guate z4 nh (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 7:34

I'm Looking for an Heirloom tomato called red house. By all the descriptions they are perfect size for a patio but they are nowhere to be found and I'm wondering why. Has anybody grown them or recommend them? And where can the seeds be found?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red House Tomato

The proper name is Red House Free Standing and I've linked below to Tania's page for it and if you click on seed availability you'll see that seeds are available at Seeds of Change, at least for 2013.

I grew it many many years ago, and thought it was nothing special, and today there are so many new dwarf varieties that I think are much better than that one.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Red House Free Standing

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 11:19

I tried it 3 different times and have to agree that it is nothing special. An attractive plant, 3' tall, sturdy, rugose leaves, etc. but the fruit are relatively small and have little flavor.

It used to be carried by several different seed suppliers until about 3 years back. But many quit carrying the seeds. I assume due tot he poor reviews it got.

There are several much better patio type varieties but most are hybrid varieties.

Dave

o

I think Earl of Edgecombe is a very cute plant but I didn't grow it in a pot. It is a smaller tomato with orange fruit.

o

And I would suggest that you take a look at some Dwarf varieties developed in the past few years with colors and sizes not seen before.

The link below is from Tania's website.

If you click on the various varieties you can see pictures and comments and seed sources for each one if you click on Seed Availability.

They would be perfect for a patio and indeed one of the incentives behind starting this project was to make available varieties for container growing.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn, and nothing wrong with Earl of Edgecombe,which I introduced by first listing it in the SSE YEarbookin 1997, I love that variety, I just think the Dwarfs might be more interesting for a patio.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Earl_of_Edgecombe

Here is a link that might be useful: New Dwarf Varieties

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here