Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seysonn

Name That Tomato !

seysonn
10 years ago

I bought it from the fruits section of Kroger. It was in a section called "HEIRLOOM" tomatoes.
General outside color resembled Blak Krim. But it's shape is different and bigger. The taste, as far as I can tell, is very similar to BK. : Not sour, not sweets, creamy soft.
The flesh is NICE red color of varying shade EXCEPT the seed pockets that is are green.

In this picture you are seeing the inside

Comments (10)

• seysonn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I see nobody wants to touch this wit a six foot pole : Hmmmm

That's ok: I just send it down .
    Thanks for everything . Then everything is not a thing. .hahaha

• farmerdill
    10 years ago

If you got it at Kroger, probability that it is Heirloom Black, a hybrid introduced to compete in the commercial "heirloom" market.

• seysonn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Farmerdill ... yes, It was marked"Heirloom". As you pointed out it is some kind of so-called BLACK. I figure it must be productive to grow it commercially. My Black Krim performed very poorly this past season. I hope that this one will be better.

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

This is an old thread that I started back in 2013.

My picture was not very good and nobody guessed

After I planted it, finally I learned what It was: ANANAS NOIRE ( aka black pineapple). This one: One of my all time favorites. I love its color and taste.

Now I have another one for you to have fun with:

You can tell the size from the coins next to it.

It is a black/brown cherry/grape. My intensive Google search has not shown anything like it. Now I am growing seedlings from the seeds taken from it

If you look closely the skin has a green/brown pattern.There are a lot of beef steak size with this pattern but nothing as cherry/grape.

Can you guess it ? Name it ? Or what do you think I should call it ?

Well, if it turns out what I like, I'll be glad to share seeds with you.

Sey

• User
    8 years ago

Could the second tomato be Black Plum? Swallowtail has it listed. Yours appears to have varigated color in the skin, though and these don't. Yours is more of a grape tomato size, right?

http://www.swallowtailgardenseeds.com/veggies/heirloom.html#gsc.tab=0

• VedaBeeps SoCal 9b/10a
    8 years ago

The cherry reminds me of purple bumblebee, but oblong instead of round. I didnt care for purple bumblebee at all, tough thick skin.

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    8 years ago

Thanks Veda

Purple Bumblebee is the closest .

I found this picture in Google search

This one has more green than mine. Maybe it is not fully ripe.

Sey

• User
    8 years ago

I believe that you win the prize, Veda!!! I agree, a very ripe Purple Bumblebee. Did you like the flavor, Sey?

Rebecca

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    8 years ago

You are right. Veda nailed it.

About taste, Yeah I liked it. Also I liked its shape and look.

The seedling is kind of weak right now. So I checked the web. They says that it is a BUSH type determinant. Now I know why it is growing slowly. I'll grow it in a pot. This also confirms that it is P. Bumblebee

I also read that is fairly early. Another plus. Another plus.

Sey

• centexan254 zone 8 Temple, Tx
    8 years ago

Sey the good part about the thick skin is in your area that could mean less splitting. I have noticed rarely do tough skinned cherry tomatoes split.