Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sidhartha0209

Spudakee Purple vs Cherokee Purple

sidhartha0209
11 years ago

Anyone have a comparison of Bill Malin's Spudakee Purple to the standard Cherokee Purple to share?

Other than being a potato leaf variant of Cherokee Purple, is Spudakee superior or inferior to Cherokee Purple in any way?

Just wonderin'.

Comments (11)

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

There are actually two PL versions of Cherokee Purple, Spudakee and Cherokee Purple Potato Leaf found by Jere Gettle of Baker Creek.

I know quite a few folks who have grown both PL's and don't find them to be the same as to taste and yield and I know several who have grown all three in the same season which is the only way that a direct comparison can be made.

And again, some find that one or the other of the PL's is similar to CP, same with the other PL, and some find neither one is the same as to taste and yield to CP RL.

I could suggest that the differences are due to the many variables that are involved with where and when they were grown, how they were grown, what amendments were used, and if so, which ones and how much, and what the soil is like,the weather in any one season, and all that.

But when all three are grown in the same season by the same person the variables are wiped out.

Many think that the only difference between an original RL and a PL version of that is just single spontaneous mutation that resulted in the change from RL to PL, and I used to think that myself until I had a chat with someone about this.

It turns out that there's more than one way that a gene(s) can be altered and they involve looping out of the DNA, repeats, inversions and stuff like that. I knew of those through work with bacteria but never transferred that info to tomatoes for some stupid reason.

So..... I don't think one can equate an original RL with a PL version of it with few exceptions. And that's b/c MORE than one gene can be altered, not just the leaf gene.

One exception is the original Kellogg's Breakfast and its PL version KBX and I think most folks find the two to be identical except for leaf form, which strongly suggests a single spontaneous mutation.

Someone sent me seeds for a PL Indian Stripe, which is normally RL, and I've been distributing seeds for the PL Indian Stripe elsewhere and as grown by me and the person who sent me the seeds they appear to be the same except for leaf form, but it will take more reports back to firm up this one.

Interestingly Indian Stripe is related to Cherokee Purple and both now have PL versions, but IS hasn't yet gone on to show the various versions of CP such as Cherokee Green, Cherokee Chocolate and the several other alter egos of CP.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

No way to edit posts here so I just wanted to mention that the name is Spudakee, not Spudakee Purple.

Yes, a minor correction, but if folks are Googling or accessing Tania's wonderful Tomato Base website with info for over 3,000 varieties, I thought it would helpful to indicate that Bill just called it Spudakee.

Carolyn, who notes that a Spud is a potato, thus the use of that word to indicate PL and Bill's user name from years ago used to be Spud as well b/c his major interest was/is PL versions of original RL's.

• miesenbacher
    11 years ago

My seeds came from Bill Malin and if I had to choose it would be Spudakee. Ami

• sidhartha0209
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"Someone sent me seeds for a PL Indian Stripe, which is normally RL, and I've been distributing seeds for the PL Indian Stripe elsewhere and as grown by me and the person who sent me the seeds they appear to be the same except for leaf form, but it will take more reports back to firm up this one.

Interestingly Indian Stripe is related to Cherokee Purple and both now have PL versions, but IS hasn't yet gone on to show the various versions of CP such as Cherokee Green, Cherokee Chocolate and the several other alter egos of CP."

Thanks much for the info Carolyn, you certainly know your stuff. :)

Is IS any more productive or flavorful than CP?

This was my first year growing CP and I'm really impressed with it's performance and flavor here in my area, ESPECIALLY considering the drought and horrid temperatures we had this summer, AND, CP is still bearing in my garden! I intend to cover and protect from frost for as long as possible, just to see.

• larryw
    11 years ago

I've grown both the Cherokee Purple and Spudakee pretty regularly over the past 5 years and consider both to be excellent varieties. However, Spudakee takes the blue ribbon for better productivity and a bit better disease tolerance,
    probably due to the potato leaf foliage.

This years garden was the very best I've had in years. I've canned over 200 quarts from my 25x25 ft patch. Successfully trialed beneficial nematodes for my potatoes and also my 4'x4' raised radish/carrot bed. Wonderful improvement in yield and fruit quality--I just hope they carry over and spread throughout my garden as they are a bit pricey. Actinovate continues to help control foliage diseases and I wonder if I'm not getting some carryover effect with this. No question that the continued use of mushroom manure is paying off. I will add more next spring.

I trialed at least 8 new varieties of tomatoes and found Amish Rose to be a real standout. Dester's Amish and Vinson Watts were beautiful but not too productive. Will hope for improved adaptation to my environment and will try them again next year. Grew two Missouri Surprise plants
    from seed offered as a special from Marianna's Seeds. Both were very different in growth habit and productivity and did not reflect the "ALL AT ONCE" ripening affect that I experienced with the original Dr. Lambeth seeds circa ~1970.
    Saved seeds and will retrial next year.

I think I might have recovered Tefft's Old German from 5 seeds discovered in an envelope tossed away in a dresser drawer many years ago. Looks very promising--will do 4 or 5 plants from seed saved this year. Hallelujah!

This is my first post since spring as I have been fully challenged with garden management, canning, and fighting the stinking deer! Deer control finally absolutely achieved
    after abandoning sundry natural, green, and folklore tryouts
    in favor of an electric fence. Now that do work! How satisfying it was one evening to see daddy deer leap at least 6 ft into the air, bleat, turn and head for the woods!

• ejp3
    9 years ago

Grew them both (CP and spudakee). In my opinion the spudakee blew the cp away in taste, size and production. I saved the seeds but am not sure if they come true since they were grown amongst many other varieties.

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago

Interesting.
    Right now, according to my unofficial survey, Cherokee Purple is among TOP 5 tomatoes grown by the members of this forum. Now comes SPUDAKEE.

Seysonn

• rick9748
    7 years ago

What are the top 5? Please

• Kansas Farm Girl - Shell - South of KC
    7 years ago

Spudakee is much more productive in our Eastern KS (6A) raised beds. The past few years we have grown both as well as IS RL. For us, Spudakee is more productive than the others. That said, the few Cherokee Purple tomatoes I get each season are fantastic on our taste scale; but in a "normal" year are few and far between.

Shell

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    7 years ago

What are the top 5? Please

----------------------------------

well, I wrote that 2 years ago. So I am not sure. But I know Sun Gold, Big Beef, and IS were other 3.

Sey