Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greekbecky_gw

Freeze Tomatoes Off Vine???

greekbecky
15 years ago

HI:

I read somewhere that you can freeze tomatoes straight off the vine without blanching first and their skins will come right off when ready to use. Anyone agree with this or tried it? I'd be interested in the results.

This interests me, because I have so many tomatoes picked and I don't have the time to process them all.

Thanks,

GreekBecky

Comments (17)

• colokid
    15 years ago

I did this a year or two ago. Just threw them in the freezer where they rattled around till about January when I used them is stew. Skins came right off as they thawed. Dont know if good or bad, but beats throwing them away.
    Kenny

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    15 years ago

We found that it's easier to core them before freezing, just make sure to wash and dry them well first. The texture is very soft once they've started to thaw and we mangled more than a few trying to core them at that point. Yep, the skins will slip right off. They are good for soups and sauces when frozen, but I wouldn't try to substitute them for fresh in salads, etc. since they are so mushy.

• greekbecky
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Kenny and Edie....you made my life so much easier!

greekbecky

• triple_b
    15 years ago

Last year I was too hot and pregnant to can anything so I put all the tomatoes whole in the freezer (in bags after they froze solid). When I was good and ready I pulled them out, blanched them quickly, chopped and made salsa. Works great. The salsa still needed a couple cans of tomato paste but then it usually does anyway.

• cabrita
    15 years ago

This is my favorite way to freeze tomatoes because they can be so easily separated. If you only need 2-3 for a sauce or so you do not have to thaw out a whole bag that is stuck together as it happens when you blanch them before freezing. They work really well for sauces, salsas, soups...it also happens to be the easiest method.

• greekbecky
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone! These are such excellent suggestions!!!

I know what I'll be doing in the next few days...

greekbecky

• wantie
    15 years ago

Another idea.

We washed, cored, and dried the tomatoes. Cut them in chunks. Then used the blender to blend them skins, seeds, and all (they could be skinned and seeded). We then zip baggied them and froze them flat. We used them in lots of things, especially chili, sauce, and soup.

Wonderful.

This is a quick and easy way to save them.

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

I especially like to do this with excess cherry tomatoes. When I want to throw some in soup or sauces I simply take a handful of still frozen tomatoes and rub them under some running hot water. The skins wash right off. I then just toss them whole into the soup.

• kioni
    15 years ago

I would let them sit in a bowl of water for 5 minutes or so, and then the skins would peel off. Let thaw a bit further, then I could chop them up for my tomato sauce.

• lovetogarden2008
    15 years ago

I also just put them whole into a processor and zip lock bags. They're wonderful for sauce, soups, chili, etc.

I have different colors, too, which is fun.

• greekbecky
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, just as I think I have it figured out, you guys come up with more great suggestions. I ordered a tomato machine and its being delivered tomorrow, so I'm pretty excited about that. However, the ziploc baggie idea seems like such a simpler, less messy option that operating that machine for the few that I have left.

Hey, does anyone have any tomato soup recipes they'd like to share. I've been making and freezing soups like crazy this week.

Becky

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

I cannot take credit for this recipe as I found it on another forum I am on (gardengirltv.com). It was so easy and delicious! The only problem I found was it didn't make enough since we wanted more...made 2 bowls.
    My thanks goes to Ani.

3 pints of cherry tomatoes - halved
    1 large onion - chopped
    6 cloves of garlic
    1 celery stalk
    extra virgin olive oil
    1 t. salt

1 T. cane sugar
    dill to taste
    filtered water

Spread some olive oil in a pan, add the top set of ingredients down to the salt and roast ~1h at 350 until it smells wonderful. Add some dill which should instantly wilt with the heat. Puree in a food processor, add the sugar. Check the seasoning and add a little water to get good consistency. mmmm

Also I used regular tomatoes chopped up instead of the cherry ones. It is also delicious with half & half instead of water for cream of tomato soup. Kim

• greekbecky
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Kim: That sounds nice and homey and especially yummy. I love cream in soups, so this is a winner! Thanks much...:)
    Becky

• tomatogreenthumb
    15 years ago

Just wondering what so many people find so appetizing about garlic. Isn't an onion smelly and tasty enough?

I can smell garlic on a person's breath from a mile away, downwind of course. I then go the other direction.

Garlic is in the same food basket as limburger cheese. ugh! What is the matter with people's sense of taste and smell! Not to mention consideration for the folks they associate with. lol

• cabrita
    15 years ago

Ah, love garlic and limburger cheese. Garlic is a great anti boss food, you should eat lots of it during your lunch brake. This way if the boss gets on your face, you just breathe on him/her! I am just kidding.....

Garlic is part of our national cuisine (have any of you ever heard of all i oli?) so to me it just makes any food taste good. However, it also has many health benefits. I am attaching a link that describes the many health benefits of garlic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Health benefits of garlic

• tomatogreenthumb
    15 years ago

LOL. I will pass on the lively bold taste and odor that garlic creates. I like my food just fine with salt and pepper to season it. But each to his own I guess.
    I just can't see ruining good food. (smile)

• jannie
    15 years ago

I cut my excess tomatoes into eighths, leaving the skins on, then put them in a one gallon zip-lock bag. Froze them overnight, then let them thaw at room temp. The skins and seeds slipped right off. I pureed what remained and re-froze it in a tupperware bowl with lid. Looks like beautiful sauce-most of my tomatoes this year were Gold Medal Yellow-very large and sweet!