Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jordanc8

Using unripe green tomatoes

jordanc8
12 years ago

I don't know why, but a lot of my tomatoes never ripened this year. They are beautiful dark green, but were rock hard before the frost we had the past three nights. I'm pretty sure their season is over.

I hate for them to go to waste. Is there any way I can use them in this condition? Has anyone tried roasting unripe tomatoes?

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Check over on the Harvest forum here (linked near top of this forum's front page). It is the canning, harvest use and preserving forum and currently has lots of discussions going on how to use and/or preserve green tomatoes in soups, salsas, pickles, etc.

Also you'll find current discussions running on the Cooking forums.

Dave

• springlift34
    12 years ago

Down here in the South this past spring, I sold at least 500 pounds of green tomatoes to local grocers.

Fry those suckers!

Take care,
    Travis

• bethsco
    12 years ago

This says it's a relish but I like to think of it as salsa and eat it as such. Yum!

Here is a link that might be useful: Green tomato salsa

• neohippie
    12 years ago

Fried green tomatoes are a Southern delicacy. They're easy to make too, just use the same basic technique used for pan-frying lots of things. (okra, zucchini, chicken, chicken-fried-steak, catfish...)

Slice the tomatoes into thick-ish slices (you want them thick, but not so thick that they don't cook all the way through once the outside is done). Dip first in seasoned flour, then in an eggwash (beaten egg and milk), then in cornmeal. Let them sit for a little while to get the breading to stick well.

Pan-fry them in a cast-iron skillet with enough oil or fat to come halfway up the tomato slices. Fry on one side until golden brown, then turn and fry on the other side until that side's done.

(I've also heard you can do them in the oven for a "healthier" version, but I haven't tried that yet.)

Usually served as a side dish, though lately I've been making sandwiches out of mine after having some tasty fried green tomato sandwiches at a local restaurant. They had a version of a BLT with fried green tomatoes, with bacon, lettuce, chipotle mayo, on toasted sourdough bread. Another option is a patty-melt like version I had at another restaurant with melted swiss cheese.

• springlift34
    12 years ago

To me, it reminds me of fried squash with a bunch of sweet tarts mixed in somehow.

Take care,
    Travis

• augiedog55
    12 years ago

I just had some fried tomatoes 3 days ago.. dang they are gooood

• mariev_seattle
    12 years ago

I just used my green tomatoes to make a green tomato pie using this Food Network recipe from Paula Deen. It tastes almost like an apple pie--delicious!!!

• october17
    12 years ago

I know it's late but had to tell you. I used up some green tomatoes this year making jam! I found the recipe on the internet. It has three ingredients - 2 cups green tomatoes (liquified in food processor), jello (I used raspberry) and 1 or 2 cups sugar. You have to boil it for just a little while, then I refrigerated it. It was terrific on toast! Next year I am going to try other jello flavors and also add some hot peppers. It will make great gifts next year.