Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using unripe green tomatoes

Posted by jordanc8 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 30, 11 at 11:50

I don't know why, but a lot of my tomatoes never ripened this year. They are beautiful dark green, but were rock hard before the frost we had the past three nights. I'm pretty sure their season is over.

I hate for them to go to waste. Is there any way I can use them in this condition? Has anyone tried roasting unripe tomatoes?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using unripe green tomatoes

Check over on the Harvest forum here (linked near top of this forum's front page). It is the canning, harvest use and preserving forum and currently has lots of discussions going on how to use and/or preserve green tomatoes in soups, salsas, pickles, etc.

Also you'll find current discussions running on the Cooking forums.

Dave

o

Down here in the South this past spring, I sold at least 500 pounds of green tomatoes to local grocers.

Fry those suckers!

Take care,
Travis

o

This says it's a relish but I like to think of it as salsa and eat it as such. Yum!

Here is a link that might be useful: Green tomato salsa

o

Fried green tomatoes are a Southern delicacy. They're easy to make too, just use the same basic technique used for pan-frying lots of things. (okra, zucchini, chicken, chicken-fried-steak, catfish...)

Slice the tomatoes into thick-ish slices (you want them thick, but not so thick that they don't cook all the way through once the outside is done). Dip first in seasoned flour, then in an eggwash (beaten egg and milk), then in cornmeal. Let them sit for a little while to get the breading to stick well.

Pan-fry them in a cast-iron skillet with enough oil or fat to come halfway up the tomato slices. Fry on one side until golden brown, then turn and fry on the other side until that side's done.

(I've also heard you can do them in the oven for a "healthier" version, but I haven't tried that yet.)

Usually served as a side dish, though lately I've been making sandwiches out of mine after having some tasty fried green tomato sandwiches at a local restaurant. They had a version of a BLT with fried green tomatoes, with bacon, lettuce, chipotle mayo, on toasted sourdough bread. Another option is a patty-melt like version I had at another restaurant with melted swiss cheese.

o

To me, it reminds me of fried squash with a bunch of sweet tarts mixed in somehow.

Take care,
Travis

o

I just had some fried tomatoes 3 days ago.. dang they are gooood

o

I just used my green tomatoes to make a green tomato pie using this Food Network recipe from Paula Deen. It tastes almost like an apple pie--delicious!!!

o

I know it's late but had to tell you. I used up some green tomatoes this year making jam! I found the recipe on the internet. It has three ingredients - 2 cups green tomatoes (liquified in food processor), jello (I used raspberry) and 1 or 2 cups sugar. You have to boil it for just a little while, then I refrigerated it. It was terrific on toast! Next year I am going to try other jello flavors and also add some hot peppers. It will make great gifts next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here