Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovinli

Plant dying but lots of green tomatoes

lovinli
11 years ago

Hi, it's my first time planting a single beefsteak tomato plant. It did beautifully all summer, grew huge with many fruits (about 30). The fruit blossomed and ripened very slowly and we've only picked about 4 to date. Now the plant is starting to die. I don't think it is blight, but maybe septoria (leaves are spotty, turn yellow then dry up). Since it's fall, not sure it will help to treat it with fungicide at this point. My question is there are still about 25 healthy green tomatos on the vines, some small, some large -- what should I do? Should I let them keep ripining until I see the individual vine turn yellow? Or, should I start picking them and let them ripen inside? If I leave them on the vine much longer, will I risk losing them all? Will try to post some pics later.

Comments (10)

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

First, look at the thread below with a title of green tomatoes won't ripen inside the house, for some more info.

No, it's too late to use a fungicide and yes, many of us have plants that have either Septoria or Early Blight, or both, or any combo of those and throw in some of the bacterial foliage diseases as well.

Starting tomorrow the weather is supposed to warm up for a few days in our area, and as long as there are no deep freezes expected I'd leave those green ones on the vine, b'c if you can get them to blush a bit it will easier to harvest them and take them inside to ripen up.

But please do read the thread I referred you to above.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn

• lovinli
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Carolyn, I went out today and cut away most of the dying leaves. There are so few healthy leaves left that I'm worried the sun will scorch the tomatoes. I did read your advice about trying to ripen green tomatoes. I hope I don't have to pick them but the stems are starting to rot away, so I may have no choice! I'll give it a few more days and see what happens.

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

The angle and intensity of the sun this time of year where we live is not going to cause sunscald.

But I'm wondering what that rotting at the stem end might be unless it's radial or concentric splitting which is normal for some varieties. Usually the splits scar over but lots of rain can reopen those splits and then normal fungi and bacteria in the air can invade and cause rot.

What is the variety name of the beefstak plant you're growing?

Carolyn

• barnhardt9999
    11 years ago

Let me share a southern secret to sucessful fall harvesting. Bacon greese + skillet + fine ground corn meal + green tomato = no need to try to ripen them.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    11 years ago

Pickle them! I had a bunch of green sweet 100's,and was tired of eating, and giving away the ripe ones. I pickled them whole and they are great.

I shared with my coworkers and friends, a mistake! LOL I had 30 pints and now I have none.

• John A
    11 years ago

As Carolyn suggested, the rotting stems might indicate that you should bring them in. You might get frost on Friday night also. You could let the larger ones ripen on the counter top. Otherwise, you could have fried green tomatoes or pickles or make them into a relish.
    John A

• HU-461179387
    2 years ago

My tomato plant snapped, now it's dying will my tomatoes still grow, will my plant survive.

P.S It snapped at the bottom

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    2 years ago

HU - Put the snapped off part in a vase of water and it will root in a week or two. Then re-plant it.

• HU-461179387
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Thank you so much cindy!

• BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    2 years ago

A tomato stem is basically a giant root, so you can plant it pretty deep when you do. I've actually just jammed broken branches into pots of soil and had them recover and finish growing whatever was on them until I was done with the branch so long as I kept them watered. Make sure you've got good staking/caging this next time around.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting