Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seysonn

Looking for Heirloom Gold Cherry

seysonn
9 years ago

Thinking about 2015 already.

Like the title says: I am interested in finding a heirloom GOLD/YELLOW cherry tomato variety to replace SUNGOLD. and possibly with fruits larger than Sungold.
Another plus would be a more compact growth habit like determinant or semi-det. I have an unknow red/pink variety that I like: The plant is compact (semi-det) and fruit size is on the larger cherry side.

I did not like Sun Gold for two reasons:
=== splitting too easily
=== Fruit size too small.

I am asking here, because I am looking for first hand info from those who might be growing such a variety. I know I can search the web but that is my second option.

Thanks in advance !
Seysonn

Comments (13)

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

I've heard that the Ambrosia cherry tomatoes from J&L gardens are good, and I plan to try Ambrosia Gold in my garden next year. I'm not sure if you would like the size though.

Do you like cherry-size tomatoes or are you looking for more of a saladette size?

I've heard that currant tomatoes can be a pain to pick, but I have no problems with regular cherry tomatoes.

Linda

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Linda, I will look into Ambrosia.

I already know/have enough saladettes . I am looking for cherry type but not TINY ones.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Tatianas lists at least 100 of them. Isis Candy is a commonly grown one, Gajo de Melon is another, Marizol Magic another. Check out Coyote too.

Dave

• containerted
    9 years ago

How about "Tommy Toe Yellow". Taste is great old fashioned and it puts on lots of fruit.

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok thanks Dave and Ed.

As I mentioned I wanted to check into the varieties that are familiar and people have grown or growing them.

Now Isis Candy is one; Gajo De Melon is the other. Then is Tommy Toe.
    Other thing is that I am looking, possibly, for determinant compact plant, not for indet, dwarf or bush type.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

I grew Isis Candy two seasons ago - the most tasteless cherry tomato I have ever encountered. Never again!

That was my big cherry taste test - grew 6 different kinds and I gotta tell ya........SunGold won in my book by a large margin. Yes, the fruits are a bit on the small side but the plant is prolific and the taste is like tomato candy. It is now the only cherry I grow. Nothing else matches it for taste and productivity.

Look for Hartman's Yellow Gooseberry - an old and very sweet variety that is about the size you are looking for ~1 1/2 inch fruit. It is considered one of the the best tasting yellow cherries.

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Gardengal. SunGold is still on the table.

I see you are also in the neighborhood( PNW, zone 8).
    I know that weather has some influence on the taste. We don't get a lot of sun and warm weather, especially in my garden. Most fruits like warmth and sun. No wonder they grow apples and other fruits in Yakima/rainier valley.

OK. b'c I have limited space, I cannot afford to try too many varieties. That is why I have to be selective. That is why I am doing my homework now.

• sheltieche
    9 years ago

I love Isis candy, one of my favs. In my garden it is mid season and by the end of the season it gets really sugary, like a candy.
    Ambrosia would be something to try for me as well.

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everybody, for your input.

Yeah. I think taste is very difficult to measure and judge. Of course, nobody can call a sweet tasting tomato "tangy".

So far there seem to be choices with first hand experience. That is what I am shooting for, not "text book" descriptions by the seed sellers. That is why I love this forum.

The next point is the "Growth Habit". I want to avoid aggressive indets, if I can. I prefer DET and/or semi-indets. I am growing a red variety, exactly I like: Compact indet; fruit size about 20gr( ~0.7 oz >> 20 to 25 cnt per pint/lb).Plus the fruits are all the same size, unlike most cherries.

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

For a tasty red cherry that is short (can be grown in a 3 gallon container) with tomatoes that are larger than the usual cherry size, try Pipo. You could try asking for it at the swap.

Linda

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

I haven't grown SunGold. I grew Black Cherry from Renee's Garden, those were big for a cherry tomato and very sweet. They ripened to a dusky pink color, with green shoulders.

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

UPDATE:

Today I was shopping at Trader Joes. I picked a pack of what they have labeled as Mini Heirloom Tomatoes. At $2.95 /lb sounded a good deal. I get to eat them and save seeds too. I like the yellow/gold ones, slightly oval. That is what I was looking for. They weigh about 0.4 oz, which is good size . Then there are few black/brown ones weighing about 2.5 oz. Also few other cherry kinds that do not interest me to save seeds from.

Here are the pictures:

This was the best deal.
    What do you think ?

BTW: I am growing the red ones this year. Also got seeds from TJ's.

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

It seems like a good idea IF any of them were incredibly tasty, but it's disappointing that they don't list the varieties. Supposing you really really liked one and wanted to save and share the seeds with friends. You wouldn't know what to call it.

Linda