Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

this year most successful in your garden?

helenh
10 years ago

My best tomatoes were Wes, Pale Perfect Purple, Red Brandywine, and Black and Brown Boar. I liked some others but those were the most productive. Rain in August was nice after none in June but all my black tomatoes split and rotted in that weather. The cooler weather did allow more tomatoes to set fruit for fall.

Comments (11)

• tomatovator21
    10 years ago

My most productive were Ramapo f1, Cuostralee and Magnum Beefsteak. I did not plant Wes but I should have. I will next year for sure. Last year Wes was my favorite.

• sue_ct
    10 years ago

By most perfect, largest tomatoes Linnie's Oxheart, but very late. Taste might be Cherokee Purple Heart, but really didn't have a bad one.

• sheltieche
    10 years ago

The most productive in my garden were Nature Riddle, HHHS, which is abbreviation from Baker creek chinese yellow pear shaped one, Tennessee surprise, MOPLA and Marianne Peace. Also the one I got from trade years ago and was listed with two names wonderlight aka lemonny, which was neither I think but delightful very productive tasty golf ball sized dark yellow. Canôt wait to grow it again and see if it retains its qualities.

• Corgikarma
    10 years ago

I was really impressed with my green zebras from seed I had saved last year, very prolific and delicious! Black Prince, Paul Robeson and Early Bird were plentiful and my Yellow Brandywines started really producing late summer and are just starting to slow down. Sungold are always wonderful producers.

• joeorganictomatoes
    10 years ago

The German Johnson was mine. From one plant I harvested 66 delicious, very large tomatoes with a combined weight of 40 + lbs.. Not bad for a $3.50 Bonnie plant investment. Next year however, I'm germinating my own and I can't wait! I already have about 20 different selected. Spring is just around the corner!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I did'nt have many varieties( 4 + cherry types).
    Of those 4 Early Girl did best. Brandywine was worst. Black Krim (tho tasty) but did poorly. So I will repeat EG, drop BW and BK next year. I will add Cherokee purple, Mortgage Lifter, Green Zebra, Sungold, Stupice. Our cherries did well but we had too much of them.

SLIGHTLY OFF THE TOPIC !
    I am looking for cool weather-short season varieties. (More of cool than short). I have read some good review on BLOODY BUTCHER and KIMBERLY and not so good on STUPICE(deformed fruits ?).
    Anybody has grown any of those ?

This post was edited by seysonn on Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 23:22

• bigpinks
    10 years ago

Burpee Orange Slice hybrid...big and bountiful...orange softballs and lots of them. Cherokee Purple pretty much thrived in the rain also.

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    10 years ago

For the third year in a row, Estlers Mortgage Lifter was the most productive for me, and these three years were wildly different. Brandywine Sudduth and Cherokee Purple were close seconds for productivity and new favorites for taste. Kosovo was very productive, but in this very wet year, many of the tomatoes became mushy on the vine. Next year I'm switching to Anna Russian as my heart. My duds were Brandy Boy, with very poor production, and Jetsetter, which succumbed to disease early on. And I'm giving up on Earls Faux which produced only one tomato this year and last. I can only grow one plant of each variety I choose, and each is grown in its own 25-gallon fabric container, so your mileage may vary.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Jasper f1 hybrid was my most productive tomato by far. Although lot's of cherry tomato types that are good, and productive are around. Jasper is rather small, but again extremely productive and shown no signs of being in a bad year (way too wet in spring). Taste is excellent.
    Thanks for the reports!

• sue_ct
    10 years ago

If it weren't so late, Linnies Oxheart would be a new go to variety for me. In a really bad year, when most others gave few, and smaller than usual fruits, this one is still blushing a 1lb+ tomato almost daily, perfectly formed and beautiful. I can't wait to try it in a good year.

• arley_gw
    10 years ago

Opalka was the most productive, followed by Black Cherry.

Neither had exceptional flavor. Not bad, understand, just average.

Best flavored were Marianna's Peace and Stump of the World; unfortunately these weren't terribly productive.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?