Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thebutcher_gw

35 degrees tonight should I worry

thebutcher
9 years ago

Hey all,

It looks like the temp will drop around 35f tonight for a few hours they said from 2am to 8am. I still got about 15 decent size tomatoes that are begining to color break I think and about 25 smaller ones still growing and it looks like the temps will only drop down to 40 for the next 10 days and day temps 60-70s in Philadelphia area. So I don't want take them off, but could always pickle them or make fried green tomatoes if 35F would damage them

So should I pick the larger ones that are almost ready or leave them on? And the smaller ones maybe take a gamble to leave them on?

Thanks All,

Mr Beno

Comments (5)

• hilnaric
    9 years ago

Well, for the ones at color break, I always have to pick then (critters) and they ripen up just fine.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Hi Mr. Beno

I would definitely pick the ones with slight suggestion of color. Even without the danger of frost, they will ripen inside much quicker than outside. Tomatoes need warmth to ripen. Once they start changing color it is indication that the growth phase is completed and they don't get any nutrients from the plant, except maybe some moisture.

The smaller ones if not mature size will not have a chance to grow in this kind of weather that keeps getting cold. Some of them (with light green color) should have a chance to ripen inside. The rest could make nice pickle and relish.

Although our lows here are still 48F and higher, my tomatoes are not ripening either. I just pick and bring some inside. They like inside better than outside( @ 48F to 61F)

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks both of you, I picked the ones I thought were starting to colorbreak and left the other imature ones ones on. (I figure take the chanxce of another 10 days or so with out a frost).

I also just sprayed all the plants with a lot of water, I remember reading it somewhere. Just wish I had WOW lol.

I will keep you posted on how it works, just got the frost advisory thing as well. But all in all, it was a great growing season here and have about 20 tomatoes ont he counter that broke color before so I guess I can't complain. I am just hoping it dont hit freezing point tonight, 35 could be a border line with the forecast where a few degrees eiitherway can affect. lol

Thanks again for the help

- Mr Beno

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Good Luck, Mr. Beno !

I don't have to worry about freeze or frost but I picked quite few with suggestion of turning color . I am sure they will ripen inside better than on the vine. Our lows are still over 50F.

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Sey

It turned out that the temp dropped to around 33-34 (from a weather station) and the only damage I noticed was the cherry tomato plant which was the tallest showed signs of damage but not ruined as you can see in the top photo. The top stuck out above my 6ft fence line, but lower all seemed to be fine along with the tomatoes even at the top.

The rest of the plants were green but seemed to droop a little bit but no sign of damage other then the leaves falling off from prior. The next ten days I hope will be ok, and they say the low will be around 40 but I know the time is coming soon.

The bottom photo is my latest harvest ready to eat just about (I kind of like the contrast with the tomatoes with the fall decorations lol), and got 2 more bowls like that but they just started to turn color. Anyway thanks again both of you and I will update some photos soon.

- Mr Beno