Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Still shouldn't put tomato plants in compost?

Posted by catherinet 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 13:43

Is it still the prevailing thinking out there that we should burn our spent tomato plants? Is it okay to put rotting tomatoes in the compost pile?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Still shouldn't put tomato plants in compost?

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 17:26

"Prevailing"? I don't know about that. It is debated true, but lots of tomato plants are composted each year by home gardeners with no problems. It depends in great part on your method of composting and if the plants are diseased or not.

Active, hot, well maintained and carbon-nitrogen balanced compost piles can cope well with just about anything, even diseased plants. So in that case the choice is yours.

With cold, passive, seldom maintained piles one should probably avoid adding any diseased plants since the beneficial bacteria and soil web will be slow to cope with pathogens and slow to decompose the woody material in plant stems.

Tomatoes themselves pose no problems. In an active pile they are quickly gone and most seeds are cooked. In a passive pile they can attract varmints and you'll get more volunteer sprouts in the spring.

You can read more about all this over on the Composting forum here.

Dave

o

Thanks Dave.

o

I NEVER put the old plants in the compost because of the possibility of disease. I also NEVER put tomatoes in the compost to avoid volunteers.
John A

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here