Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redsun9

Cherry Tomato Cracking Badly

This year I grew two varieties of cherry tomatoes, Husky Cherry and Sweet 100. They both grew to very large size and I had to top them. Or they would grow to 8' tall.

Early of the season, about 10% of them would crack when stored in frig. But later in the season, some of them would just crack on the vines, some cracked in room storage and more would crack when stored.

I do not think I watered them too much. Did I miss anything in the soil? I did not feed the plants this summer. I do not know if that makes any difference.

Comments (4)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

While some varieties are more prone to cracking than others, cracking is generally caused by inconsistent soil moisture levels - one extreme to the other. It often follows heavy rains or periods of over-watering following a dry period.

Not sure why you would ever store them in the frig as that is never recommended for tomatoes, but the changes in temp extremes could also contribute to some cracking.

You'll find many discussions here about 'cracking', its various forms and causes, and tips on how to prevent it. The forum search at the bottom of the page will pull them up for you.

One of the most frequent recommendations is earlier picking. Picking at color break and letting them finish ripening inside on the counter is one of the best and easiest ways to prevent splitting. It is especially important to do before heavy rains are forecast.

Dave

• daniel_nyc
    9 years ago

This year I grew eight varieties of cherry tomatoes. They grow 12+ ft.

Same thing here: little cracking early in the season, more cracking on the vines later in the season.

So, now I pick up the riped - or even green, if necessary - cherry tomatoes and I keep them inside. On the vine they can crack OVERNIGHT; inside it takes 3-4 days or even one week to crack. Most donâÂÂt crack at all inside.

Some of my medium-size and especially large-size tomatoes cracks easily on the vine, and don't crack inside.

Watering does influence cracking. Reducing the watering, not only make less cracking but also improve DRAMATICALLY the taste of the tomatoes.

Overwatering make tomatoes⦠watery and tasteless.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I don't know why your tomatoes cracked while in the frig. But as Dave said some varieties (with thin skin, IMO) crack more readily. I had both Sun Gold (thin skin) and unknow variety (thicker skin). The latter never cracked.
    The simple solution to cracking, as I have experimented and is true is just pick them as they turn color(say 50%). Then leave then in the room temperature (65F to 75F ?), on the counter, in the basement ... They should get nice color without cracking .

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

I had to top them. Or they would grow to 8' tall.

Daniel made a very good point about the height. If you can't deal with an 8-12 foot tall plant, which is perfectly normal for most indeterminate varieties, then you may want to re-evaluate the support system and the spacing you are using before next year. Either that or just stick with determinate varieties.

Dave