Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ablindhog

A heart and a dwarf for next Spring

ABlindHog
10 years ago

I am trying to decide between Anna Russian and EM Champion hearts for next spring's garden. I would like to hear your impressions of them, especially of their flavor, productivity and of their heat and disease tolerance. I would also like to learn whether EM Champion is a ripe all at once type of determinate or if it produces ripe fruit over a longer time.
I am also considering a dark dwarf, probably either Wild Fred or Rosella Purple. Knowing their ability to withstand heat stress, along with any other opinion you may have about them would be helpful.

Thanks, Mike

Comments (8)

• sheltieche
    10 years ago

Em Champion is det, couple feet tall with low count of leaves so kinda naked LOL so you can plant it tighter, VERY prolific, medium size for salad and juice. Skin is thin so does not do well with transport. Old variety.
    Anna Russian is hit and miss in my Chicago garden.

• ABlindHog
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reply lindalana. Do you recall whether EM Champion is a ripe all at once type of determinate or if it produces ripe fruit over a longer time? I may wind up having to save it for Fall if it is too naked to protect the fruit from the summer sun.

Mike

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Anna Russian or EM Champion?

Have grown Anna Russian many times, but have never grown the EM Champion one, so can't comment.

I love Anna Russia and it has always done well for me but if you want something that's still somewhat short, please strongly consider Danko, a wonderful red heart.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Danko

The one picture shown is not typical of the fruits since they are true hearts, and the variety is also determinate.

When you ask about disease tolerance, do you mean foliage diseases or systemic diseases? If the former then I know of NO OP variety that isalways tolerant to foliage diseases, it all depends on the specific season, if the spores and bacteria are in the area that season, etc.

I haven't grown any dark colored true Dwarfs, so can't be a help there.

Carolyn

• sheltieche
    10 years ago

Em Champion you will get all fruit ripen within short time. It is LOADED like a Christmas Tree...

• ABlindHog
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carolyn, thank you for suggesting Danko. After just a little research I am an enthusiast, the list just keeps getting longer.
    Regarding my question about disease tolerance, I think that the stress on my plants from the growing conditions that exist here, especially the heat, leave them more susceptible to what ever spores or bacteria may come along. Foliage diseases seem to occur all to regularly. Perhaps tomatoes that are less likely to be stressed in the first place is what I ought to be looking for.

• ABlindHog
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The information about Em Champion is much appreciated lindalana, as I have been unable to find out very much about it any other way.

• fusion_power
    10 years ago

I've grown Rosella Purple but not Wild Fred. Perth Pride performed better in my Alabama garden.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Due to space requirements, I have been seriously looking into some good early determinants. Here are some that I found. The source is selling only plants not seeds .So I am interested in seeds not plants:

--CASCADE LAVA ...DTM..70
    -- 42 DAYS ..DTM ...42
    ---GLACIER MIGHTY MATO ... DTM ...55
    MANITOBA ...DTM ...66
    -- BLACK SEAMAN ...DTM ..75
    Then I can get following seeds: Bush Beefsteak . Beaver Lodge, Siletz.

Anbody has grown any of these?

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?