Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
llebetkin

Seeds from my volunteer's F1 Yellow Cherry - What to do?

llebetkin
9 years ago

In 2013 a volunteer tomato plant on the edge of ny garden made a few end of season tasty yellow small fruit, so I saved seeds. I only grow heirloom varieties, so I figure this was some sort of hybrid. My garden is small, but I found room for a single plant from those seeds for this 2014 season.

The seedling was very vigorous, as was the plant. It grew and produced a huge crop of yellow cherry tomatoes that developed an excellent flavor when ripened to a slightly yellow-orange color, blushed red if in the sun. The one plant produced as many tomatoes as two or three ordinary cherry tomato plants, with the vine reaching 8-10 feet.

I saved seeds from these yellow cherries. I dubbed them "Louis D'Or" after the old gold coin and my first name.

My question:

The plant was surrounded by others, so i cannot deny cross-pollination. I have no chance of growing enough offspring over enough years to determine if it is a stable variety, but it was so good that I don't want it abandoned. Would it be useful to offer others here seeds to try? How should I do it?

Thanks,

Lew

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Koura Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Virginia's Top Choice for Reliable General Contractors