Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pupillacharites

Arkansas Traveler

PupillaCharites
9 years ago

"Traveler" is a synonym for "Arkansas Traveler" as a tomato variety.

In fact, "Arkansas Traveler" is more descriptive and the better name for the nation at large, despite having some non-Arkansans in well-meaning digital tizzies about it being released as "Traveler". A popular Tomato Variety database (based outside the United States) even comments, this: (LOL!!! It currently doesn't not even know if it is OP or hybrid ... it is OP BTW)

Bred by by(SIC) Joe McFerran of the University of Arkansas and released as Traveler in 1971. 'Arkansas' got tacked onto the name somewhere along the way. Several sites have now amended the name and just called it Traveler.

Regarding the "Arkansas Traveler" tomato variety the variety is claimed to have originated at the University of Arkansas where it was called "Traveler" in its first embodiment, which was actually released in 1970.

The fact that "Traveler" is popularly known as the "Arkansas Traveler" variety now and that many from out of Arkansas are confused is actually wonderfully perfect. Where is Ed Washbourne when you need him!

There is a failure to recognize that the UofA "Traveler" was released for Arkansans to grow in their State's tomato industry where Traveler implied "Arkansas" anyway. It name paid tribute to its historical namesake, the "Arkansas Traveler", a part of Arkansas folklore based on Col. Sandy Faulkner, the *authentic* "Arkansas Traveler" who fiddled a witty ditty he wrote which became deeply engrained into the mid-19th century Arkansan consciousness.

The breeder, the respectable recently deceased Joe McFerran, also named it partly for the University's newspaper, informally known to the student body as "The Traveler" to pay homage to the 150 year old Americana � and the official name of the newspaper is of course "The Arkansas Traveler".

People who seek to impose their "approved" name for the variety for the most part are not sensitive to this part of Arkansas history and folklore and probably suffer from database blues sitting in far away states or countries, where they have a need to place the name they think is right, when historically the variety morphed for reasons they either are unaware about or prefer not to support for whatever reason.

However, it may not be clear whether the current commercial varieties have the original genetics of Traveler, an improved renamed version in 1976 or a further improved version including further Fusarium resistence as well as better humidity tolerance, and further crack resistance. Since the seeds being sold today commercially are not the original version "Traveler" and since the "Traveler 76" name never stuck, and was more a moving target, what we have left is a derivative which popularly became known as "Arkansas Traveler" for all the above reasons.

There is speculation that it contains some genetics from Ozark heirlooms, however evidence seems to point to it being repeatedly selected for disease resistance from a Louisiana cultivar crossed with a USDA stock to confer disease resistance, plus various amounts of hillbilly stock added along the way, possibly in an effort to make less cracking and better shipping. It never was good enough, though, and tasted too good, so, it was dropped as a production shipping variety with time. Perhaps digdirt knows or would be interested to find out more about the genetics of this historical Arkansan tomato and share it with us.

Given the history of this tomato, unless someone gives you seed they got labeled directly traceable to 1970-1, the best bet is to consider it "Arkansas Traveler" to reflect the evolution of the variety which. Websites calling it "Traveler" when it at least is '76 are misrepresenting a variety name better expressed by "Arkansas Traveler" and in the process losing the story of the naming of this OP variety important to Arkansas and its folklore. Just ask the girls at the Traveler who considered it was named after them (Meet Martha, Beverly, Sheila, and Connie L to R):

Wow! Wat a pretty group! Has anyone bred the Arkansas Time Traveler yet?
PC

Comments (4)

• carolyn137
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Below is a thread from here with more specific info about U of Arkansas and Travelers.

There are a couple of high powered VERY knowledgeable folks who posted in that thread, and no, I don't mean me, b'c folks here in the tundra where I live don't tend to grow it or Bradley or German Johnson, etc.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Travelers

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I knew Joe McFarren, I went to school at the UofA and majored in Horticulture.
    I grew it soon after it was released at home, and was very pleased with it. At the time, it seemed quite resistant to diseases that occurred here in Arkansas.

I haven't grown it lately, because frankly, I don't like raw tomatoes. I love cooked though and tomato products.

• PupillaCharites
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi dbarron ... what an interesting time to be there and growing!

Here's a 1976 excerpted part of an article written about the Arkansas Traveler tomato cultivar in your University's town's newspaper. It illustrated just how remarkable the variety was at the time you had front center seats. Despite a degree from Cornell, Dr. McFerran was still had some hillbilly in his Arkansan heart. He also was involved in the breeding of Ozark Pink, continuing with the Arkansas Traveler theme, which he apparently liked … Did he play the fiddle or banjo?

Music Video of the Arkansas Traveler which the tomato honored

I'd take that bet he did :-)

Northwest Arkansas Times of Fayetteville, AR
    Thursday, June 24, 1976
    Page 4

"...the Arkansas Traveler tomato developed by the Horticulture Department is now grown on 2,200 acres in Bradley County. It constitutes an $8 million dollar industry. Those people almost lost their tomato industry from disease, and this remarkable plant was developed to replace the failing one. They know the value of research done by trained scientists ... McFerran and Company, This silent war (mostly plant breeding) goes on to prevent the wiping out of our great agricultural crops.

(Note, the tomato was referred to interchangeably as Traveler (Traveller) and Arkansas Traveler, since the beginning,and that’s an Arkansas thing, not an addition by outsiders specifying that it was from Arkansaw, but a real part of its unique history. The Arkansas Traveler fiddle tune to residents of the State, like the student newspaper, were called "Traveler" with the understanding they referred to the "Arkansas Traveler" which was not necessary to say in common parlance. Similar to a US resident calling Dr. Clinton a former President, when in the United States, but former “President of the United States” by those abroad.)

PC

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I'm afraid I didn't know Joe's personal life that well. I was only a lowly undergraduate who watered his tomatoes for a year or so (lol). I do remember the Ozark Pink, but never liked it as well, I always felt my tomatoes should be bright red.