Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwannouncements

GardenWeb needs your feedback!

gwannouncements
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

As you may have noticed, we've been sprucing up the site a bit. Among other things, we've added new ways to upload photos and email notifications of post replies. We are still cleaning out cobwebs and weeding some areas of the site, but we are also working on some bigger projects like a better search engine (yay!) and a mobile app. We'd also like to get some feedback from you. What enhancements or additions would you like to see? What do you love? What do you hate? Think big and small!

We can't promise the moon, but please know that we will read and consider every one of your ideas and suggestions. We appreciate your loyalty and dedication to our site and we know how important your community is to you. Help us make it even better!

Please use this post to offer your feedback. But, as always, you are welcome to contact me directly by clicking on my profile page.

Best regards,

Tamara Amey

GardenWeb Community Manager

Comments (9)

• suncitylinda
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Funny you would ask. The past few weeks I have been noticing more pop up ads than I remember. These can get to the point where I just stop going to a site. Mother Earth is an example of a site not worth the hastle of constant advertising. Linda

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

Tamara, first, I'd like to thank you for deleting the thread I suggested you delete which was about buying theses and term papers from India.

I do have some comments and clarifications I'd like your opinion about.

First, in the past I know some folks have been banned from GW, speaking about this Forum now, for even mentioning another message site, let along linking to one. Note I said message site, but that could also be a seed site, a place to buy something, but usually it's been another message site.

I've asked before about this and got no answer, so I decided to look at the TOS ( terms of service) here at the GW Network and I've linked to it below.

Item #18 leads me to believe, being no lawyer, that I could transfer a link from another message site to here, or the reverse, when someone asks about certain topics and there's more info elsewhere than here, and the reverse, and speaking for myself, I don't want to spend all the time typing and answer when there's an easier way of doing it.

And such threads usually have lots of posters since it's never good to just ask the opinion of one person IMO.

So am I correct about that? It's really all about education, learning something new, etc.

One time I PMed someone with some information and must have mentioned a place to buy something or a seed place to go to, I can't remember, but my PM was blocked and when I asked I was told that the place was spamming GW. Now how would I know that and since many don't put their e-mail addresses on MY PAGE, I'm one of them, what's to do?

Is that PM software still in place and will restrict mention of certain topics? And if so, what general topics does it restrict? Name or links to other sites, seed sites, etc, but that gets back to #18 of the TOS so I assume that such items would no longer be restricted.

Moving along to Stickies.

This has been discussed before but I need to ask you first if the current software allows for those. Two examples. At the top of this first page somewhere I'd love to see a sticky with seed sites that have been approved by folks here, b'c there are some bad bad seed sites out there that I wouldn't suggest to anyone and I'm sure that's true of others as well. Second one with recs to where to get tomato plants might be nice as well.

For those who are wondering, a Sticky is a thread that stays in place.

Several folks tried it once and said in what's called a sticky, please read but don't answer in the thread which will send it into oblivion.

And that's exactly what's happened in the Pest and Disease Forum, where I used to spend hours and hours answering questions as did/do several others, but no more for me.

We set up a PROBLEM SOLVER with links to many places for diseases of all kinds, nutrient deficiencies, etc., which was a great help to many. But when I went there this AM it was no where to be found until I did a search, and it came up with a 2005 date. I don't even know if all the links are operative it has been so long. But that PROBLEM SolVER was a great help to many people.

http://search.gardenweb.com/search/nph-ind.cgi?term=problem+solver&forum=tompests&forum_name=Tomato+Pests+%26+Diseases

When I first came to GW the tomatoes were discussed in the Vegetable Forum until that got to be too much and then Spike opened this Forum/ And then questions here about diseases and pests got to be too much so then he opened the disease and pest Forum.

Is there some way of shunting the questions about diseases/pests from this main Forum to the P and D one?

I'd have to take a closer look to see if maybe it's just a lack of folks answering questions.

I won't address the exchange Forum, but if folks who psot there got a look at the TOS there would be very few wants and offers, last I looked.

Lastly, this Forum was as vibrant and exciting as it could be up to about 2005 when in the couple of years before that it got really nasty sometimes, well more than often. As a result of that several other message sites became more useful and comfortable. I'd like to see this Forum get back on track. But what I seem to see are a few folks being "snarky" to others, bordering on being rude, bordering on flaming.And yes, I recognize it b'c I've been a Moderator at several sites since I first started posting at message sites in 1982.

Do you ever send a warning to such folks?

I'll stop here until I see your answers here in this thread relating to the questions I asked.

Thanks so much for the opportunity to give public feedback.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: GW terms of service

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    11 years ago

I enjoy the GardenWeb site very much, and at the same time it has more glitches than any other site I frequent.....freezing screens, inability to post at times, pop-ups that can't be closed, to name a few. I know it's not my computer because like I said it's only on this site.

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

I don't have any popup ad problems but along with what ed said, it's the only site where every few weeks I get set to post and I'm asked to log in again.

The good part is that it happens so often that it's the only site where I remember my password without having to look it up.

The bad part is that I read/post at several sites and only once after a power outage have I been asked to provide my password at one site and for the others my password and access has remained active and constant in some cases for close to 20 years.

Carolyn

• seeker11
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for asking for input.

I've been a regular at this site for a lobng time, but have been using it less and less. The "expanding" ads drive me crazy! Every time I click on a thread to read, my screen jumps all over the place...not once, but several times. Then it happens again when I go back to the list of threads. After a couple of these, I decide it's just not worth the aggravation.

Also, I strongly agree with Carolyn's points about mentioning other forums.Please!

Thanks again for trying to improve this forum. I'd love to see it as it used to be.

Paula

• tomakers
    11 years ago

I just ran into the log in glitch. I visit this site a least once a day, and every few days am asked to log in again. Not a big thing, but irritating. It has more ads than any other site I am familiar with. I realize some are necessary, but Garden Web bombards you with them.
    I'm on the same page as Carolyn with the concerns she has mentioned.
    JMO,
    Tom

• garf_gw
    11 years ago

Apparently my comment about the "expanding popups" wasn't appreciated and was erased. If I were to spell out my feelings about the popups graphically, I would likely be banned for life. LISTEN for once.

• gwannouncements
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone!

You asked and we listened. Today we are very excited to be debuting our newest feature -- post editing! To use this feature, go back to the post you wish to correct and you'll find the link under the 'My Clippings' links on the right side of the page.

I want to give a special shout out to all the testers who tried to break the editing tool. ;) Your feedback was insightful and invaluable. Thank you!

You may have also noticed that we adjusted the login cookie awhile back so that you should not have to login repeatedly.

Stay tuned -- we have more cool things in the works!

As always, please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Best regards,
    Tamara

• wcthomas
    11 years ago

It's nice that you asked for input, but where are the responses and interaction? The major issues voiced above relate to pop-ups and expanding ads, which have driven me from this site. Will these be addressed?

TomNJ

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting