Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daniel_ny

A determinate tomato - Celebrity - has fruits again, in - October

daniel_nyc
9 years ago

Today, Thursday October 9, 2014 - while pruning some yellowish / brownish leaves - to my surprise I saw that one of my DETERMINATE tomatoes - a Celebrity - in the small hoop house, decided to have fruits... AGAIN. In October !

Huh ?

Comments (13)

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Good for you. The fruits look bigger than Celebrity to me.
    OTOH, , those fruits must have set/started more than a month ago. Tomatoes are perennial and do not believe in freeze or frost. Some determinant produce one flush, then pause a while and then resume again. Some continue like indeterminants. .
    My Siletz have been fruiting no stop. First ripe fruit on July 8.
    So do Bush Steaks. But Silvery Fir Tree paused a long time and now decided to fruit again. TOO LATE.

• hilnaric
    9 years ago

Those are beautiful tomatoes but are you sure they're celebrity? When I've grown celebrity it's been a smooth medium sized slicer type, not beefsteaky like those.

• fireduck
    9 years ago

Most of the sources consider Celebrity to be a "semi-determinate" that can grow 24-36 inches tall. I do not understand the above comments about how big those fruits are. In comparison to the adjacent full sized leaves (in the photo)...the fruit does not look that huge to me. Hopefully you have time for them to color up.

• hilnaric
    9 years ago

I wasn't referring to the size as much as the form of the fruit.

• daniel_nyc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Seysonn wrote: > The fruits look bigger than Celebrity to me.

conchitaFL wrote: > When I've grown celebrity it's been a smooth medium sized slicer typeâ¦

fireduck wrote: > In comparison to the adjacent full sized leaves (in the photo)...the fruit does not look that huge to me.

I went to the basement and compared with one that looked similar size to me, and the scale said 8 oz. So it's not huge, itâÂÂs small-medium size.

conchitaFL wrote: > Those are beautiful tomatoes but are you sure they're celebrity?

No, IâÂÂm not. According to my notes, they ARE Celebrity, but also according to my notes I NEVER ordered these bellow, soâ¦

Anyway, I still think the plant could be a Celebrity.

• daniel_nyc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

conchitaFL wrote: > When I've grown celebrity it's been a smooth medium sized slicer type, not beefsteaky like those.

ItâÂÂs the first time I grow Celebrity, so I donâÂÂt know about size / type, but searching a little bit on the Web, I found this Celebrity which is somehow âÂÂbeefsteaky.âÂÂ

Also: says Lady of Perpetual Chaos in a post in her blog Garden Report from....2011....yep:

> I ended up with 4 Roma tomato plants and 4 Celebrity Hybrid plants. Oops. We planted our garden (most of it) on May 28. We got our first tomato (Celebrity) on August 15. It was 18 ounces. One tomato, 18 ounces. It was huge!

conchitaFL, maybe some Celebrity, depending on soil, weather... can grow bigger. Please also see the picture; it's a little âÂÂbeefsteaky.âÂÂ

So, at the end of the day, that tomato could be Celebrity.

• daniel_nyc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

fireduck wrote:

> Most of the sources consider Celebrity to be a "semi-determinate" that can grow 24-36 inches tall.

Mine, is about 6 ft. high.

Says Bonnie:
    >Celebrity is sometimes considered a semi-determinate tomato plant, because it gr
    ows to a certain height (3 to 4 feet) but continues to produce fruit all season until frost.

So maybe the plant just took a rest, and then came back - like seysonn said.

• Pyewacket
    9 years ago

Wouldn't be the first time you ordered one thing and got another. It happens most often with started plants. I refer to having to buy rather than start from seed as "plant roulette".

This year I got a "chile de arbol" that was clearly actually some kind of Thai pepper; a mini-orange bell that is GINORMOUS and not orange; the other alleged mini-orange bell appears to be something like an Anaheim; and an eggplant that was only identified as "oriental" but appears to be Slim Jim or something similar instead. It MIGHT be Millionaire - but I thought those grow in clusters, and these don't.

That leaves one eggplant that was probably what the label said, and a tomato plant that was identified as "early girl", think, and I have no idea whether or not it is. And a yellow cayenne that definitely IS a yellow cayenne.

Everything else is either questionable or definitely not what it was labeled, LOL!

• seysonn
    9 years ago

fireduck wrote:

> Most of the sources consider Celebrity to be a "semi-determinate" that can grow 24-36 inches tall.

Daniel wrote:
    Mine, is about 6 ft. hig
    ----------------------------------------
    Most Probably not a determinant an unlikely to be a semi-

I have planted Celebrity. The fruits were round and smooth . Yours show lobes.

But Who cares ( I don't) you get good tasting tomatoes. I am growing 4 tomatoes from Trader Joes (heirloom) tomatoes that are currently the stars of my garden. I have positively identified one as ANANAS NOIRE but the other three are just "delicious". hehe

• daniel_nyc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And that yellow tomato is not the only one I didn't order. I also had an indigo / purple tomato - have to find the picture - which was VERY yummy.

I have a dozen of those Celebrity - or whatever they are.

• danzeb
    9 years ago

Oct 13 and my one Celebrity is 5 ft, healthy and has a few clumps of nice size tomatoes. Also it's still flowering. The negative is that all season the tomatoes have taken a very long time to ripen.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

I've grown Celebrity along with my other tomatoes for years and yours look nothing like Celebrity. But they sure are pretty!

• daniel_nyc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, then, most likely is NOT a Celebrity.

Well...

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!