Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting Back a Plant that is Getting Too Big and No Fruit Set

Posted by yumtomatoes 10a/FLA (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 12 at 18:56

I am growing OTV in a container, but I started the seeds too early and it is too hot and humid here for fruit set. I am getting tons of blossoms but no fruit set due to the temperature and humidity.

The plant is now over 4 feet tall at only 10 weeks of age (from date of planting seed) and if it gets over 6 foot it will be too large for me to stake and otherwise deal with. What would happen if I cut the branches back to 2 foot? Would new branches form and new flowers bloom that would have a chance at fruit set once the temperatures cool here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting Back a Plant that is Getting Too Big and No Fruit Set

Pros and cons of 'topping plants' is a common question here and while it isn't usually recommended except as a method to ripen late fruit when a frost is threatened, it basically comes down to your choice since it is your plant to deal with.

You will set the plant back by about 2-3 weeks due to the stress it causes and may lose some later production. Primary concern IMO is that the plant will then be dependent on secondary stems for fruit support and secondary branches for water and nutrient circulation once it recovers from the topping.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Do you top your plants? discussion

o

Ok, think I will let this one go and if no ripe fruit by Christmas, kill it off.

o

I killed it. I am going to start Landis by seed soon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here