Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoes - various

Posted by daveinoz Australia QLD (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 31, 12 at 20:09

Tomato newbie so have a few question - and I can't get over how some air, water, sunshine and a plant can produce these wonderful fruit :)

I am growing a Roma tomato plant on my balcony in a large pot - I get 8-12 hours of sun (Australia) and its grown from around an 8 inch seedling 3 weeks ago to now being about 2 feet tall, getting bushy with thick stems and the first fruit have JUST started to show.

A few questions:

1. I have read I should remove "suckers" - how do I identify these. Are those just lower down stems that have failed to produce flowers?

2. I have been watering once a week and giving a good deep watering with some fertiliser and coffee grounds. Now its producing fruit should I water more frequently and maybe just use less water each time so its not drowned or continue to just test the soil by sticking my finger an inch in to see if its damp?

3. My first tomato showed about a week ago and is now about an inch round, and obviously still very young and green. About how long does it take a Roma tomato to go from this to maturity?

4. Day time temps are perfect at the moment but by mid December will be at 85-95 degrees most days - do I need to shade the plant at that point?

Sorry for the length and probably very basic questions!

Cheers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoes - various

1. ignore that. It only applies to certain types of plants and yours isn't one of them. Even then it is optional, not required. You can learn more about it by searching 'pruning' in this forum.

2. continue as you have been doing. As the temps increase you will likely have to do it more often. Don't let it dry out.

3. approx. 6 weeks

4. once temps consistently exceed 90 shade will help. Check out the FAQS here, especially the one on 'blossoms falling off".

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing tomatoes FAQs

o
RE: Tomatoes - various

On point 4:

The ideal temperature for fruit set is between 17 and 25C (62 and 77F). In borderline conditions, fruit may set without adequate pollination, however this can result in puffy and flat-sided fruit that contain few seeds.
For best pollination and fruit set, minimum night temperatures should be
below 27oC (80F) and daily maximums above 18C (64F). If the temperature exceeds 28oC (82F) fruit can be softer and yellow or orange in colour, especially if there is not a lot of leaf cover.

Here is a link that might be useful: Best Juicy Tomatoes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here