Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
any way to know if a blossom has been pollinated?

Posted by Need2SeeGreen (10 - Los Ang,CA) (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 21:35

I am still trying to grow a Sungold on my very hot patio.

My plant went into a bad shock right in the beginning of our heat wave, and crispified even though I moved it under an umbrella after the first few hot days (I tried shading it first).

I kept watering though and it sent up little shoots off its big, crispified branches. I was going to post here and ask if it was better to let those grow, or start new plants from them, but they took off so quickly I decided to let things be.

Anyhoo, now it has quite a few flowers. But it seems like they aren't doing anything much.

My question is, can I tell by looking if a flower has pollinated? There isn't much blossom drop at all, so does that mean something good? How long does it take before I will know if they're going to be tomatoes? It would be sooo nice to get some.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: any way to know if a blossom has been pollinated?

If the blossoms pollinate you will see small tomatoes forming in about a week, give or take.

o

It seems like it's been a week already. So does that mean these blossoms are spoiled and I should just hope for new ones? It did get very hot here the other day, though I had thought the blossoms had been around earlier than the heat spell. I'm confused.

Also, I guess I have a patience problem.

o

Just an update: it finally started to grow tomatoes. None are ripe yet though, and many things can still go wrong. I am still confused about the timing but oh well. If I get even a handful before it's too cold, I'll be happy.

o

Good luck with your fruit Need2SeeGreen!

I'm sure you'll get some tomatoes before the cold sets in.

There is a great guide I use which has helped me

Here is a link that might be useful: Best Juicy Tomatoes

o

Thanks!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here