Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
need2seegreen

any way to know if a blossom has been pollinated?

I am still trying to grow a Sungold on my very hot patio.

My plant went into a bad shock right in the beginning of our heat wave, and crispified even though I moved it under an umbrella after the first few hot days (I tried shading it first).

I kept watering though and it sent up little shoots off its big, crispified branches. I was going to post here and ask if it was better to let those grow, or start new plants from them, but they took off so quickly I decided to let things be.

Anyhoo, now it has quite a few flowers. But it seems like they aren't doing anything much.

My question is, can I tell by looking if a flower has pollinated? There isn't much blossom drop at all, so does that mean something good? How long does it take before I will know if they're going to be tomatoes? It would be sooo nice to get some.

Comments (5)

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    11 years ago

If the blossoms pollinate you will see small tomatoes forming in about a week, give or take.

• Need2SeeGreen 10 (SoCal)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It seems like it's been a week already. So does that mean these blossoms are spoiled and I should just hope for new ones? It did get very hot here the other day, though I had thought the blossoms had been around earlier than the heat spell. I'm confused.

Also, I guess I have a patience problem.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Just an update: it finally started to grow tomatoes. None are ripe yet though, and many things can still go wrong. I am still confused about the timing but oh well. If I get even a handful before it's too cold, I'll be happy.

• James_Coale
    11 years ago

Good luck with your fruit Need2SeeGreen!

I'm sure you'll get some tomatoes before the cold sets in.

There is a great guide I use which has helped me

Here is a link that might be useful: Best Juicy Tomatoes

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks!!