Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catsnrabs

A "Beefsteak" Cherry

Deeby
10 years ago

What's a red cherry tomato that has beefsteak flavor, and not sweet at all?
That would be my favorite tomato if there is one.
Are Mexico Midgets sweet or not?
If I can get a good cherry, I don't care how big the plant gets.

Comments (9)

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

I don't like sweet cherries either, so off the top of my head, and they have to be red, here are a few that I've grown that I think have a more intense, not sweet tomato taste:

Risesentraube
    Gardener's Delight
    Camp Joy, aka Chadwick's Cherry
    Nano Ciliega

Mexico Midget is a currant variety and has the foliage of that type and fruits less than .5 inch. Some think it's sweet, others not and at the bottom is a link to Tania's page for Mexico Midget. I haven't grown it so can't comment

If I were to grow a currant type I'd grow Sara's Galapagos/

I just remembered one that is a cherry, not a currant, and certainly is not sweet, in fact I don't like the taste at all, but many do, and that's Matt's Wild.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Mexico Midget

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

First I got to say that many beefsteak varieties are sweet so I don't think you can accurately use that label to define a particular flavor. Second, most cherry varieties are bred just for extra sweetness and their size tends to concentrate the fruits sugars in a small package..

So what you are really looking for IMO is an old fashioned, acidic cherry variety. Consider Rambling Red Stripe and/or Tumbling Tom. There is also one called Large Red Cherry that is more acidic IMO than most of the others.

Dave

• Deeby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to both. I'm looking forward to trying at least two, especially MM even though I know it'll be a pain to pick. It will be my first currant type.

• mbrowne
    10 years ago

Husky Cherry Red is a nice tangy tomato, productive and split resistant.

• fusion_power
    10 years ago

Matts Wild Cherry is a high sugar variety with brix around 10 to 12. I would not grow it if you are after non-sweet.

Several of the other varieties recommended are good possibilities. Riesentraube in particular is a rich flavored variety.

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

And I see now that I didn't spell Riesentraube correctly, which I just did.LOL

Darrel for Matt's Wild having such a high sugar content it sure didn't taste sweet to me. Actually I grew it twice and would never grow it again, I just didn't like the taste at all, Sigh,

Carolyn

• helenh
    10 years ago

I don't like cherry tomatoes not Sun Gold not Black Cherry that everyone likes. I did like Reisentraube. Some on other forums are talking about Brandywine Cherry but I have never tried it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brandywine Cherry

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I also have the impression that BEEFSTEAK refers to the size of tomato, it is slicer, one slice is big enough for a burger.

Also most cherry tomatoes are famous for their sweetness, as they are exclusively eaten fresh and in salads. But anyway, I personally like a bit "Tomatoey" taste more than just sweet. Now it seems that there are choices. Good to know.

• Deeby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I looked at Husky on Totally Tomatoes. It looks good ! Thanks !