Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffsblackheart

New Zealand PINK Pear

reginald_317
12 years ago

Hey,

Some depictions of NZ-PINK-Pear (NOT "New Zealand Pear") apparently show it as a heart-shaped berry (e.g., "TomatoFest"). Heart shape is rather the reciprocal in shape to that of a pear-shaped tom berry (observing with the stem end up). I did grow this one out (seed from TomatoFest) several seasons ago and indeed it produced very good tyoical oxheart berries (very small locules and dense flesh).

So will the real NZPP please stand ? Is it pear or heart-shaped ?

Reggie

Comments (6)

• carolyn137
    12 years ago

As you can see from the link below New Zealand Pear and New Zealand Pink Pear are the same variety.

PLease note that the one person says varying shapes and when I look at the blurbs of those who list it in the SSE YEarbook almost all of them say the same thing, that is, a pear that's as big as a Bartlett pear to beefsteaks to whatever.

And note when you scroll down on that page that there are several seed sources for it so you can look at pictures at some of those places to see what they show and also see if they note that shapes on a single plant can vary.

But not one person who listed it on the SSE Yearbook said anything about heart shaped fruits.

Hope that helps and it might be a good idea for the future to put Tania's website in your faves. After reading that page go to the upper left and click on main and look at all the various ways you can search for variety info. When I know the name of a variety I use the alphabetical method.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: New Zealand Pear, aka NZ Pinl Pear

• reginald_317
    Original Author
    12 years ago

... New Zealand Pear and New Zealand Pink Pear are the same variety...
    That may be true (and in fact I have looked at a site that depicts New Zealand Pear as a PEAR-shaped berry)... however the below link shows NZPP as bearing decidedly heart-shaped berries.... as does Tatiana's TomatoFest reference. AND at the jeopardy of presenting redundance, I did grow out the cult that Gary Isben labelled as NZPP (2 plants or so from the same packet) and they both produced med-large pink heart form factor berries. NZPP and NZP (assuming that they are congruous) absolutely cannot produce both heart shaped and pear-shaped berries.

If the berry in the link demonstrates a pear-shaped tom berry, please inform of such me so that I can look for a new pair of reading glasses.

Reggie

Here is a link that might be useful: New Zealand Pink Pear

• carolyn137
    12 years ago

Yes, what you linked to is a heart so what I linked to below is a Google IMAGES search for this variety and when you run your mouse over a pictures it tells you more.

And you'll also see there are various shaped fruits for this variety as well. I think it's page 3, 2nd in from the left where the various shapes are shown very well from a seed site in New Zealand.

Seems to me that this is one mixed up variety.

But yes, a single plant can produce fruits of different shapes and still be genetically stable. I think the best example I know of that is the variety Prue.

No pictures at Tania's site and she referenced it as a pear in her own data but then Klaus from Germany was quoted as saying several different shapes.

It looks to me that this is one very mixed up variety as to different info from the SSE listers, to the various pictures and I haven't checked the seed sources Tania mentions and if I were personally interested in this variety I might have done so, but I'm not, so I won't. ( smile)

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: NZ Pear; Geneal IMAGE Search

• carolyn137
    12 years ago

I just noticed that I had the catalog one of the other sources next to me and Glenn Drowns at Sandhill Preservation says:

New Zealand Pear, mid season, ind, 4 oz pink pear shaped fruits.

No pictures in his catalog or at his website, that's a project in the works but knowing Glenn well and all else he has to do I'd say that that would be a project not acommplished soon. ( smile)

Tania got her seeds from Peter Gallant in Canada and since Heritage Harvest seeds is also in Canada and Peter Gallant is quite well known in Canadian circles, as it were, it wouldn't surprise me to see that their blurb for this variety will be about the same as Tania's and Glenn's and the SSE listers.

Just hoping to help a bit,

Carolyn

• reginald_317
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, what you linked to is a heart so what I linked to below is a Google IMAGES search for this variety and when you run your mouse over a pictures it tells you more.And you'll also see there are various shaped fruits for this variety as well. I think it's page 3, 2nd in from the left where the various shapes are shown very well from a seed site in New Zealand.

Actually when performing a mouseover the the pic its description is NZPP. But it is not a pic of NZPP. Something like Mr Stripey.

Now IF there are there are "various shaped fruits for this variety" and the shapes are quite contrary to each other in general shape, then they are NOT the same variety... e.g, if a putative NZPP plant produces a pear-shaped fruit in one instance and another putative NZPP displays a heart-shaped berry in different "NZPP" plant, they cannot be the same cult.

Reggie

• carolyn137
    12 years ago

PErhaps you're looking at the wrong picture.

Page 3, top row, 2nd in from the left is the picture from NZ and there are no stripes at all.

And as I recall, I think, LOL, there are a couple of other pictures there that also show different fruit shapes and those on different pages.

You can enter NZ Pear or NZ Pink Pear and get about the same results wherever you look whether it's by conventional Google, google Images, various websites, listings in the SSE YEarbooks or wherever.

I don't think there's anything more that I can post that will help you clarify the issue to your satisfaction.

Since I do post at several other message sites the situation of having two names for the same variety is not all that rare, and it does cause problems, no doubt about it. And the situation of having more than one fruit shape on the same plant is also known as well.

Good Gardening,

Carolyn