Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can hornworms be avoided with a tomato cage ?

Posted by tecnico none (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 22:45

hello , had a tomato plant lovely looking with many leaves and one day noticed some nibbled leaves and looking at the plant found the guilty one : ( it was a hornworm , ( ugly worm ), searching on internet found that worm got on the plant by a moth planting its eggs on the leaves , so uppon that would a tomato cage made with lets say chicken wire ( covering th whole plant ) avoid the moth getting on the leaves and as so avoiding the plant getting this worms on it ????? : D

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can hornworms be avoided with a tomato cage ?

• Posted by qaguy Sunset 21/LosAngeles (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 0:13

I don't think chicken wire would be small enough to
keep out the moths. It would probably take window
screening.

Just patrol and eliminate. That's what most folks do.

o
RE: can hornworms be avoided with a tomato cage ?

I agree with qaguy, chicken wire would be too large, and unless you covered it completely(no opening in the top) I don't think you can prevent the moths from laying their eggs on your plants. The good news is they are one of the easiest garden pests to get rid of (often done for you by parasitic wasps) and as long as you check your garden often you should be fine.
I actually think hornworms are neat-looking and the moths they become are actually very pretty :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here