Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saoodhashim

Shading Container Tomato

saoodhashim
10 years ago

As a new gardener in Saudi Arabia and starting off with container vegetable gardening, I bought a few young plants from the local garden shop which would be around a month old (as of now) and around 8 to 10 inches tall. Expected to fruit in late November - early December

With temperatures over here in Saudi Arabia reaching 100F every other day and this would continue until the close of October (when temprature should not be rising above 90F and gradually falling to reach highs of 70F in January), I have put on a 50% shade cloth which is on my containerized plants (pepper, tomatoes and cucumber) from around 10 am (when the mercury rises above 90F) until 2pm. After which the high building next to my apartment stops any direct sunlight.

The plants receive direct sunlight for about 4 hours and then they are in 50% shaded sunlight for 4 hours. I was wondering, if the 6-8 hours rule of direct sunlight is being fulfilled when I put them in shaded sunlight. Will it grow at the normal pace to produce fruits on its time? Will it infact produce fruit? Will the production be limited? Alternatively, would this boost production (as I have read in some posts on the internet).

Any help / suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Saood

This post was edited by saood on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 0:00

Comments (7)

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Saood,

I can't help because my conditions are so different, but wanted to tell you to please report back results, as they may help others in the future. You really seem to be studious for a new grower, and no doubt you're going to be an excellent gardener. At times that means learning though experience.

• garf_gw
    10 years ago

Many times the only way to find out things is to try it and see what happens. Good luck.

• saoodhashim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

As I see you belong to zone 10B. The conditions over there and here are similar at least on the temperature front.

What you said is very much true, but if I can get a jump start from your experience in similar conditions, my learning curve could take a more quicker turn.

• dickiefickle
    10 years ago

Light that is filtered by 50 % is not going to produce as much as 100% . Do you have any flowering or fruiting ?

• saoodhashim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, not yet - they have not started to flower / fruit. They are still just 10 to 12 inch tall. I think they could be starting to flower by early / mid november. By that time, I would not need to put them under any shade as the weather would be nice (not exceeding 90F)

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Saood,

Winter growing sounds like it will work well! Tomatoes grow very well in the heat, but will not produce flowers. I think yours will considering time of year. 86 degrees is when it is too hot for flowers for most tomatoes, some exceptions exist. They might not need shade cloth, and once temps drop below 86, flowers and fruit will form. Often if they have fruit when temps go up, they go into stasis, not producing more flowers, but will once temps drop. I would experiment and try one under the cloth, one without. Although again the winter temps are not that extreme.
    From what you say, it might be best to grow plants to fruit in January. You could do this if you grow from seed. I guess about right now is when you would start. Many seed exchanges exist, I'm sure many would send you seeds.
    With tomatoes, their are a bunch of small seed sellers. Often promoting their own varieties. All the plants you mention can be grown by seed. Cucumbers are super easy! Direct sow. Other tomato forums exist, but are not allowed to be mentioned here. One is great with advice, vendors, recipes, it's very cool.

• saoodhashim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Drew

Yes. I bought some seeds also and they have germinated also. Now I am stuck with how to care for them when I have no grow light and appropriate arrangement of provide them a closer florescent light.

Thanks anyways for your advice. Appreciate it a lot.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida