Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seysonn

ID , Expert Opinion Needed

seysonn
10 years ago

Today I was shopping @ Trader Joe. They had these packs of tomatoes called : HEIRLOOM.
Since I am gathering seeds for the next season, I bought a pack that had the ones shown in the picture (+ some more).

Now, I already think what one of them is but I am not going to say it. Plus I don.t know exactly what the other two are.

I know, I know, some of you are going to say there are HUNDREDS of tomatoes like them. Haha, I know that myself too. But an educated guess sometimes can work real good.

So here they are. In the next post I will show you another shot from the backside of them.

This post was edited by seysonn on Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 22:14

Comments (11)

• seysonn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a shot from the back side that I think can help.

Update:

I sliced and tested the tomatoes:

THE ONE ON THE RIGHT(persimmon color) had ver few seeds and a solid yellow color just like the outside. The flavor was on the sweet side.

THE ONES ON LEFT: After cutting them in half I came to the conclusion that they are different sizes of the same variety.
    The inside color had streaks of green, yellow, orange. They tasted very tomato-y to me. Or a taste similar to tomatillo. I think it will make good salad, salsa and maybe grill.
    So, I don't really care what the are called, I will definitely plant them next year.

This post was edited by seysonn on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 19:41

• seysonn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

how about this one:
    I also bought it from Trader Joe's. It is sold as HEIRLOOM.

The picture is of low quality(Phone). The outside color and shaped resembled Cherokee Purple. VERY TASTY.
    That was back few months ago(10-25-13). I have saved seeds and I am germinating some.

Note: The right hand piece shows outside and the left hand half inside

This post was edited by seysonn on Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 22:17

• RobThomas
    10 years ago

I'm almost positive that those are Solanum Lycopersicum ;)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Good one Rob! Definitely look like tomatoes. Maybe even heirloom tomatoes since they were labeled as such.

Dave

• seysonn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If we had all the information, in black an white, in front of us and were asked to solve a problem, that would be an easy task that most people could do. The challenge is to tackle a problem that we do not have all the data/information.
    If the tomatoes that I bought from store had a name tag on it, I wouldn't ask anybody to identify it.
    Sometime we can narrow down a solution by a systematic identification and elimination method. A person who knows A LOT about tomatoes, who has been growing tomatoes for a half of century can do this better than someone(like me) with 5 years of experience.
    That is why I was seeking EXPERT OPINION here, to at least bother to narrow it down a bit( based on the very limited information) , instead of saying IT CANNOT BE DETERMINED.
    I understand that nobody owes anybody anything here and that is fine.

Thank you.

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

So, I don't really care what the are called, I will definitely plant them next year.

&&&&&&

The above is what you said about the first trio of fruits, which you concluded were all the same but of different sizes.

Possibly a green when ripe variety of which there are now several hundred varieties, so no way, at least for me, to ID it except to say it's one of the larger varieties.

I can't make out the one you shot a picture of with your phone camera well enough to even make a guess as to a category of tomatoes.

Carolyn.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

The point is seysonn is that you have been active here more than long enough to know that it is impossible to do what you asked and we all know that. So why ask? Do you honestly believe that your request to do this would be addressed any different than all the others have been?

Even those of us who have been growing tomatoes for 50 years and who had the tomato in question lying on a plate in front of us could doing nothing more than narrow it down to a possible 100 choices of the thousands available. And even then it would be speculation at best.

We have posted this numerous times when asked to do what you are asking. So why would you expect the response to your request to be any different?

Dave

• seysonn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK. Thank you.
    Consider this some kind of activity in the middle of winter.

Take a look at this picture and compare to to the green ones on my second photo. Do you see any resemblance there?

Here, we rule out all the round , varigated , bicolor green tomatoes like GREEN ZEBRA, for example.
    Further we narrow it to BOAT shaped , LOBED group.
    Ag I look at those with "...German Green " group I see a close connection here: I am pretty sure that all such tomatoes have a common origing that they gre in Aunt ruby's , Aunt Judy's and Aunt Dorothy's garden, at some point from the same tomato.
    How else did we got 12k tomato varieties ? Just think about it !

This post was edited by seysonn on Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 12:55

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    10 years ago

Very likely within the next 30 years every variety of every grown fruit and vegetable will be able to be DNA matched (for a fee). At such a time we may also find out the true relationship between many similar appearing varieties and trace tomatoes back to a remote village in the Bolivian foothills. Until then people can speculate.

I'm growing Aunt Rubys German Green and Cherokee Green yet I could never tell the difference between the two by looking at the fruit. When I tell a customer the variety name for a particular tomato they ask in amazement how I know and I usually tell them that I remember picking that specific tomato and in doing so I recalled the unique fruit appearance. Dispite growing over 200 heirloom varieties, by glancing up at the variety tag while picking fruits it is often easy to reidentify an heirloom. Its amazing how many customers will also attempt to ID a specific fruit and sometimes they are correct. Other times I'll just say "You're close but this is the twin sister to that one, *****".

• mule
    10 years ago

I just spent a couple days with the lead supplier of tomatoes for TJ's. He'd likely laugh at trying to determine variety because they source from many different growers over quite a large region.

• seysonn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks bmoser and mule,

As you pointed out, most variety name are just confusing.
    I suspect that they have given many different names for the same thing. Just as you said, Aunt Ruby, Aunt Judy, Aunt Dorothy, ..GERMAN GREEN, Cherokee green,, plus a whole lot more are almost identical and what I have in my first picture is one of them.

Well, we will have to wait til DNA becomes affordable.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional