Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheltieche

Maya and Sion Airdee Classic

sheltieche
9 years ago

I have had some personal interest with this variety. My friend got same F2 seeds from Carolyn years ago and was doing her selections over the year. Lo and behold it was nice to know that Casey from Casey's heirloom tomatoes had same F2 seeds from BW and Stupice and released new variety names after his kids.
So this year I've grown my friend's 2006 and 2009 selection and compared it to Maya and Sion.
While my friend's selections were earlier by date, taste was not there so Maya wins hands down.
Additional interesting fact- MSAC plant went into second growth stage starting Sep and produced good number of green tomatoes, I just pulled it yesterday, mind you here in zone 5 we are way past any tomatoes in open ground much less blooming and growing new greenies. So cold tolerance and fruit setting in cold weather is excellent!

Here is a link that might be useful: Maya and Sion...

Comments (7)

• ddsack
    9 years ago

I've been wanting to try Maya&SAC for a couple of years, so am happy to hear it sounds like a good one. If none turn up in the big seed exchange for me, I'll put together an order from Casey's for it. Glad you posted the review.

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

Quite a few years ago I was offering F2 seeds , the F1's were sent to me by Stanley Zubrowski in Canada, per the link given above, of Brandywine X 5 different earlies.

Jeff Casey is the only person I know of who actually took the F2 seeds from the X between BW X Stupice and worked with it.

Right now I can't remember the other four but one was with Glacier, that I do remember and I also remember offering those 5 at GW before Tville opened in Jan of 2006.

Someone more recently asked me for F2 seeds of the Stupice one and some others and I told theperson it would take awhile since I no longer have ready access to all of my older seeds with this walker I have to use.And told the person to get back to me.

But I never heard anything back.

Carolyn

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Interesting. F2 seeds are doing just fine. I like that.My kind of story.
    So the marriage between a big beef steak and an almost cherry size produced something in between which is better.

I never liked BW (didn't get much) and I grew Stupice this year. Didn't like it either( too small, too inconsistent) But probably would want to grow Maya and Sion.

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

The F2 seeds from the original crosses between Brandywine and each of them all gave small minibeefsteaks.

I can't remember how many generations Jeff had to take the Stupice one out to get something stable that he liked. And not that just Jeff liked it but others also liked the Maya one.

Finally, in crosses, small size is dominant to larger size, genetically, But it isn't always true that the smaller one is better at the F2, since selections have to be made, assessed, etc. And then those selections have to be grown out individually to stability and then assessed yet again,

Carolyn

• sheltieche
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Carolyn, thanks for info!
    2006 selection my friend made was mini beefs but 2009 was more like Stupice ones and this line ended up being more like small Stupice ones in following years. Now I have to investigate another person line that grew same F2 seedlings because her line ended up being far more BW with later maturing date but very delish, winner in taste by my opinion.

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

Now I have to investigate another person line that grew same F2 seedlings because her line ended up being far more BW with later maturing date but very delish, winner in taste by my opinion.

&&&&&

The F2's I grew were midseason and the one Jeff stabilized was also midseason, so I have a problem seeing what you describe as being later maturing like BW. How much later than either of the two parents since all the various BW's I've grown have been late midseason, not late season, which for me is over 80 days, roughly.

Taste? Subjective as always,''Was it red and PL?

The others you know also worked with just the BW X Stupice cross?

Just curious on the above questions,

Carolyn

• sheltieche
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My friends selections of 2006 and 2009 years, grown by me this year were about a week earlier than Maya's and all of them were what I call early midseason. My friend gave some of her F2 seedlings to another friend who got her selections growing for few years and from her I got this later midseason, more on large BW size at about when regular BW will start for me. Am thinking in that selection very little was left from Stupice genes and quite a bit from BW... is this possible that as line continue to develop, less and less of one parent left and more and more of another comes out?

Sponsored
Century Stair Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
DC Metro Area Luxury Custom Staircase & Railing Professional