Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atash_gw

Hanging basket types

atash
16 years ago

I'm sorry to ask: I'm sure it's been asked before, but I got a lot of hits on "topsy turvy" tomatoes when I searched and that is not what I am interested in.

Now I need some tomatoes that have small vines and trailable stems suitable for a hanging basket.

I know a few varieties have been bred specifically for hanging baskets. I tried a variety that was sold to me as "Gartenperle", but I have my doubts as the tomatoes were elongated--not round as somewhat implied by the name (yes, I know pearls are usually NOT round...). I've never tried any others and am not sure what to expect.

I also know that some people will try to grow ANY tomato in a hanging basket. I would like something that stays small enough to be manageable, and not to get too heavy, but it need not be specifically a hanging basket type as long as its vines are not too vigorous.

I seem to recall a long time ago I grew "Sub Arctic Plenty" in a basket, and it did fine. It's a determinate variety, not particularly vigorous, and easy to ripen in my cool summers.

A few thoughts:

A not-too-vigorous indeterminate, or perhaps semi-determinate, might be a good idea, to avoid having them ripen all at once.

I think round, red tomatoes will be most attractive. These will be facing the street so I would like them to look nice.

They have to be tomatoes that ripen reasonably easily, as my climate is too marginal for long-season tomatoes. Dependability trumps a lot of other issues.

Ideas?

Much obliged.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?