Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
length/intensity of direct sun for San Marzano tomatoes

Posted by VIM_731 none (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 6, 12 at 3:14

I am a relatively amateur gardener (3rd grow season coming up this spring)i love growing tomatoes and peppers i have grown San Marzanos in pots 2 years straight now, both times in direct sun for about 8-10 hours each day between march 20th or so up until late july (had great results) i am going to grow them in less intense (later in the day) direct sunlight for probably only 4-7 hours of direct mid-day to late-day direct sun. can someone let me know how they might do in those light conditions? will they produce as well? less,more?? please help so i can make a decision before its too close to sowing time.

Marc

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: length/intensity of direct sun for San Marzano tomatoes

going to grow them in less intense (later in the day) direct sunlight for probably only 4-7 hours of direct mid-day to late-day direct sun. can someone let me know how they might do in those light conditions?

Not nearly as well. Tomatoes, regardless of the variety, require 6-8 hours of direct sunlight for best results. Less hours and/or less intensity results in lanky/leggy plants with reduced production and more inclination toward disease and pest problems.

Dave

o

Tomatoes need six to eight hours of light, so be sure to put your containers in sunny locations, and if need be, move them as the sun changes position.

Here is a link that might be useful: Best Juicy Tomatoes

o

I'm new here so I don't know if my location is easy to determine... it's Chicago. I've grown San Marzano Redorta (seeds from Italy) for two years and have given my extra seedlings to neighbors. We've all experienced the same thing: plentiful large tomatoes that refuse to ripen (for months they just hang there green, not growing larger, but showing no color or coloring in small blotches).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here