Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miesenbacher

Tomato Dwarf Releases 2011

miesenbacher
12 years ago

For those who are limited in space, grow in containers or would like to grow tomatoes indoors here is the list of Dwarf tomatoes available and from whom they can be obtained from. Not sure of the availability as some may be sold out att. This is the result of the ongoing Dwarf Project that started back in 2007 and are the first round of releases. Check out the vendors for plant discriptions.

Victory Seeds.

Dwarf Jade Beauty

Dwarf Mr. Snow

Rosella Purple

Dwarf Emerald Giant

Tasmanian Chocolate

Sandhill Preservation.

Dwarf Jade Beauty

Summertime Gold

Tomato Growers Supply.

Dwarf Wild Fred

Summertime Green

Tatiana's TomatoBase.

Perth Pride

Sleeping Lady

Yukon Quest

Iditarod Red

I grew Yukon Quest and Iditarod Red during the grow outs and they were pumping out medium fruits on 14"-24" tall plants with very good flavor. Just make sure you support the fruit trusses as they will break off due to the weight of the fruits. Ami

Comments (33)

• greyghost
    12 years ago

Heritagetomatoseed.com also has the first 9 that were released last year in their 2012 on-line catalog.
    Darlene

• miesenbacher
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just ordered some from Heritagetomatoseed myself. Ami

• dickiefickle
    12 years ago

what size exactly are "medium fruits "?

• carolyn137
    12 years ago

medium size fruits?

I don't think there's a definition anywhere so each person has their own idea but my idea is that it means somewhere's between maybe 6 and 12 oz.

With regard to the new Dwarf varieties perhaps it might be best if you go to Steve's Heritage Seed Site or Tania's site, those might be the best now b'c we know thay list them and between the two sites have all ones released to date. Then you can read for yourself what size fruits are being given for the different varieties.

I know I grew Summertime Gold and Summertime Green and they were med/large fruits to me, maybe in the 8-10 oz range, and lucious to boot.

Carolyn

• bob414
    12 years ago

This page froim the Heritage site shows them with a quarter (1") for comparison. That should give you a good idea of their size.

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Bump because I am interested in the dwarf plants.

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

Adam Gleckler at Gleckler Seedmen is also growing out ALL of the dwarf varieties released to date this summer so look for those hopefully this Fall if seed production goes OK.

So lots of places to look for these interesting new varieties as posted to date in this thread and easily located via a Google search.

Carolyn

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    11 years ago

I am growing 6 plants of 'Rosella Purple' this year. They are amazing plants--beautiful, vigorous and yet extremely compact. Mine are currently 30 inches tall and loaded with flowers and fruit. If the tomatoes taste decent at all, I can foresee growing only dwarf cultivars in the future. The growth habit is simply just too appealing to ignore, especially for city gardeners such as myself.

I pinched off the first bloom cluster from some of my plants and I think it has helped them considerably. They are now much larger and with more flowers and fruit than my control plants. I think 'Rosella Purple' might start trying to flower and fruit before it can support sustained growth *and* developing fruit. Pinching off the first bloom cluster is a small price to pay for such a nice, low maintenance variety.

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Sounds great. Please let us know what you think about the flavopr. And about the advice to suport the fruit clusters. How in the world do you support the fruit clusters on a tomato plant?

• suncitylinda
    11 years ago

It came as an unhappy surprise to me that I did not like Rosella Purple. Very strong and not balanced. I did eat it. My sister spit it. Both of us like strong flavored tomatoes. Infact, Silvery Fir Tree, when ripe is a treat for us. So many good reviews, I really dont understand. I will try seeds from a different source and give it another try next year.

• Nunyabiz1
    11 years ago

I have Rosella Crimson, Chocolate Champion and Summer Sunrise growing right now.
    They were only planted since June 6th so not even a full month yet but are growing well.
    I hope they do good, I would much rather grow Dwarfs that never get past 4 foot but still produce large fruit than having to mess with 8+ foot tall outa control plants.

With the Dwarfs I can actually find a use for these usually worthless tomato cages.

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

Linda, for every variety that some folks praise, there will always some who don't like the taste. That's normal and expected since taste is both perceptual and personal and there's even a human genetic side to it as well.

It also depends on where a variety is grown, in a geographic sense, what the season was like when it was grown, what the soil is like, which amendments were used and how much, and on and on.

I grew the following when they were near being released since Craig L, who heads up the northern hemisphere part of the Dwarf Project is a long time friend of mine, going on 23 years now, and he wanted me to trial them for him.

BTW, the primary criterion for the selections was taste, and that goes back to those who were working on specific varieties and then of course Craig grows and tastes all of them, as does Patrina in Australia.

The ones I grew and loved were:

Summertime Green
    Summertime Gold
    Wild Fred
    Sweet Sue

..... and I can't remember the 5th.

This year I'm growing Iditirod Red and I think the other one might be Jade Beauty but I don't have my notebook here to check that.

It used to bother me that a variety that I thought was superb tsting was not liked by others, but with time, and perhaps age,ahem, I realized that the diversity of folks tasting tomatoes and giving their opinions is just as diverse as the number of tomato varieties known to date, which is in the thousands so human diversity in this regard is much greater than the diversity we see with tomato varieties.

Carolyn, whose opinion is that the only way to know if a variety pleases a person is for that person to grow that variety and that b'c of all the variables I mentioned above.

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Summertime Gold sounds awefully good to me LOL! Actually so does Rosella Purple.

Nunyabiz, your plants look great!

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

I'm short, so something that doesn't get over 6 ft and can be planted close together sounds good to me. How's production? Would the dwarf varieties be worth planting (say just double the number of plants for a given area) instead of heirloom indeterminates to sell the fruit at market? Are DTM usually shorter for the dwarves (yes, I did spell that correctly though the spellchecker apparently agrees with W. Disney and not J.R.R. Tolkien)?

• Nunyabiz1
    11 years ago

Actually its really "Dwarf's" when referring to anything other than "Dwarves" in the LoTR.

Tolkien even addresses this in the Author's Note in The Hobbit:
    "In English the only correct plural of dwarf is dwarfs, and the adjective is dwarfish. In this story dwarves and dwarvish are used, but only when speaking of the ancient people to whom Thorin Oakenshield and his companions belonged."

Newyorkrita, Thanks.
    Hopefully they will produce as good as they look and should as long as I can keep the Horn Worms and Squirrels away from them.
    I would much rather grow 6 to 8 Dwarf's next year.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

I always thought the "ves" ending was English and the "fs" was American - certainly I pronounce the plural with a "v" sound, and I thought both were in the dictionary when I was a kid. It's like the plural of "hoof" is "hooves" but then why isn't the plural of "roof" "rooves" (I simply can't pronounce "roofs")?

Sorry to go OT, if anyone's interested I found this link discussing it (if scientists are anything like engineers, they make up their own - in engineering, the plural of "antenna" is "antennas" not "antennae"). Seems like every occupation has its jargon/spelling. So I will use "dwarfs" from now on for tomato plants and stars and "dwarves" for fantasy characters.

Now back to the plants - how are they for market production?

Here is a link that might be useful: Grammar

• suncitylinda
    11 years ago

Carolyn- Thanks but still did come as a surprise. When I read Tanias info on Rosella Purple I think a quote from Craig said something like: Released in its 9th generation and quite stable but still throws an occosional off plant. I only had two seeds and only one came up. I think it is possible I got the "off" plant. The flesh is a dark bright purple/red and the gel was a rather bright green. It created a stark contrast that I am not seeing in the other pix of cut fruit I have been able to find.

I am hoping The Dwarf Project will eventually cross with some classic good reds, like Druzba, Rutgers, etc. Like others, I really like the idea of smaller plants.

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

Linda, if you look at the link below to Google IMAGES I see several pictures, one from Craig L, that show green gel in the seed locules, so I see that as being what the variety is all about.

If true, I don't see it as an offtype.

How come only 2 seeds? The only person who once sent me only two seeds of a few varieties was Craig L a very long time ago when we were getting out Livingston varieties from the USDA. LOL

I'm good at starting seeds, humble though I am, but I don't want to take my chances with just two seeds, especially if the varieties are PL and I'm looking for PL, or rugose, and then get RL. You must have traded for them, I guess, and not bought them from the places that sell the seed for Rosella Purple.

Right? ( wink)

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Rosella Purple

• suncitylinda
    11 years ago

DellTraveler, who we know from another forum was nice enough to send me two seeds the year they came out. I think Victory had them and ran out. Anyways, she sent me a couple of those and some other interesting dwarves, like Yamal, which looks promising.

Truth is all my early planted Toms suffered this year. All in pots and all fertilized with TomatoTone which I think is just not strong enough or good enough in the quantities I used. I switched to a synthetic and time release for subsequent plantings since I have such a long season and those plants are doing much better.

I wish I would have taken a pix of my cut Rosella Purple. The green gel was so strongly colored, it was stark and shocking to me. Thanks for posting the link, some of those pix I have seen, but not all. I have a few more ripening on the plant so maybe they will be better. I used the first ones in a mixed sauce.

I am going to order some seeds and try again but waiting to see what new dwarf project lines might be released at the end of this year. They are just great plants!

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

I really want to plant the New Dwarfs I intend to start from seeds next spring inground. Looking around the yard for the spots most suited to these I have decided I have room to plant 8 of the dwarf plants. I think that will work out well as I intend to order seeds in October from Heritage and I have decided on four varieties. DWARF MR SNOW, SUMMERTIME GOLD, ROSELLA PURPLE and TASMANIAN PURPLE. So that means I will be able to plant two of each which I think will work out well for me.

• containerted
    11 years ago

This year (2012), four more are added to the list of released varieties: Dwarf Sweet Sue, Dwarf Kelly Green, Dwarf Arctic Rose, and Summer Sunrise.

This past season, I grew all 17 (and some others as well) and can say that while the previous years were very good, this year all four to be released are "home runs".

Think about the best Cherokee Green you ever tasted and then elevate that about 20% and you get Dwarf Kelly Green. It is actually somewhat sweet (as in sugary).

Think about the best Golden Dwarf Champion you ever tasted and elevate that about 30% and you get Summer Sunrise that also comes with a small area of bright red/pink striping at the blossom end. It also is lightly sweet to the taste.

Summer Sunrise may be the best bright yellow I have tasted in my 60+ years growing tomatoes. It is full flavored and not wishy-washy like so many yellows.

And Dwarf Arctic Rose will be your smallest plant, earliest to fruit plant, and heaviest producer of any tomato plant smaller than 30 or so inches.

As I said above, four home runs. They will be in your seed stores very soon.

Ted

• containerted
    11 years ago

Here's Arctic Rose

• containerted
    11 years ago

And Kelly Green

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Impressive. Great pictures too!

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

I just wanted to add that the dwarf releases and all the work done on The Dwarf Project I find really very interesting.

• sharonrossy
    11 years ago

OMG! More tomatoes to think about. Rita, you might have to come to Montreal to help me with my new garden.
    Containerted, photos are great! Love the Kelly Green!
    Sharon

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Sharon, can't do that as I am going to be too busy planting my tomatoes here in my own yard LOL ha-ha!!! I don't think that I have gotten as many different types of seed as you have but I have really been working on my garden adding areas to grow veggies, especially tomatoes.

With the two garden projects compleated last week gives me room for 18 more tomatoes on top of the numbers already here. And the 8 dwarf types will be in addition to them as those already picked out spots are in different areas of the garden.

Really going tomato crazy!!!

• sharonrossy
    11 years ago

we should discuss what we've purchased and when I get my seeds or you get yours maybe we can exchange some...
    Seriously, what do you do with all your tomatoes?
    Eggplants have been a bust!Cukes died of some mysterious disease. lettuce was good, beans are growing, but it's the tomatoes that I love the most!
    I'm hoping to get Tasmanian chocolate.

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Lettuce is good in the spring. Cucumbers are still going so have been fabulous this year. I have peas planted again for a fall crop. Pole beans good this year with the Yard Long Beans the best. Peppers got eaten up by slugs. Did not plant eggplant or summer squashes. But the tomatoes have been FABULOUS!!!!!

I eat lots of tomatoes, eat tomatoes every day. Cook some down for sause and freeze. But most of them I give away. All my friends and all the neighbors know I grow tomatoes and are waiting for them each spring.

• sharonrossy
    11 years ago

That's the way to do it. I froze a lot of cherries, after I tried roasting them in the oven on a long low heat. Still have some in the freezer!

• seysonn
    9 years ago

An older thread started in 2011, discussions ended Aug 2012.

Well, since then probably few more have been released by the Dwarf Project . I have got 2 of them (seeds now) that was not discussed here above. They are:

== Rosella Crimson: ( I've got seeds)
    == Rosella Purple: I dont have this one but sound very interesting variety with fruits like Cherokee Purple.
    == Dwarf Purple Heart:( I've got seeds). This is a recent release. I like what I READ about it.

One Note: Seems that most of these "Dwarfs" are Indeterminant, Not Determinant as one would think. That is great. You get an indet growth habit that is short, compact and produces continuously though the season.

Seysonn

• garf_gw
    9 years ago

The 2 dwarves I tried last year did not survive, but I think I have learned a few things since then. These are from supermarket tomatoes.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Garf, Most tomatoes cannot tolerate Miami, FL summers. That has nothing to do with dwarf tomatoes. Even, if you remember it right, two out of three of your own tomatoes from store bough died too.

Seysonn