Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roper2008

Which would you grow of these 3?

roper2008
11 years ago

I want to try one of these varieties. I've read they are all productive tomatoes.

Box Car Willie

Red Barn

Indian Stripe.

Right now I'm leaning a little more towards Red Barn.

Comments (12)

• containerted
    11 years ago

I've grown all three and at the same time. Indian Stripe was the most prolific and hinted at tasting like Cherokee Purple (which is always wonderful). Red Barn was large and had some of that "old fashioned" flavor that lights up my taste buds. Boxcar Willie also has a wonderful fully complex flavor and aroma.

I'll vote for all three. It's clearly a case of "you can't eat just one".

• roper2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you. Now which one to pick. ....Only one reply. Most people
    here must not have grown any of these.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Indian Stripe - hands down. Box Car comes in second with less production and not quite as good flavor.

Dave

• mrdoitall
    11 years ago

If you can only grow one. I would pick Indian Stripe. For it's great taste and it's a very cropper.

• robeb
    11 years ago

I haven't grown the other 2, but Indian Stripe has been on the top of my favorites list for a couple of years now.

I love the flavor, it's very prolific and it keeps on pumping out fruit during heat spells that shut down other plants.

• roper2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, Indian Stripe it is. I will also grow the others, just not enough
    room this year.

• simmran1
    11 years ago

roper, I did not even read the former replies, because Red Barn is my fave in the taste dept. A winner in all categories , taste, yield and plant habit.

• gunnarsk
    11 years ago

Carolyn(137) introduced them all to SSE, so she'ed be the obvious person to answer, but she's not online now due to computer problems, so that will have to wait.

• gavriil
    11 years ago

Are you kidding Roper, Indian stripe all the way look at the colors. It's Da Bomb

• Cdon
    11 years ago

I Havent tried any of them yet, but Indian Stripe is the one I am most excited to try next year. Seems like they are pretty popular here. Box Car is on the fringe - I will try it eventually when I have room. Dont really know anything about Red Barn.

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

Gunnar was so correct in that my former computer scorched a transitor. My computer man, and friend, told me last Fall that that might happen and I ignored him.

So here I am with a new computer and it's so different in many ways, but I'm learning.

Gunnar is quite correct that I introduced all three to the SSE Yearbooks.

Joe Bratka had found seeds in glass jars, already named, as bred by his father, couldn't germinate them and sent them to me to try.

I was able to revive;

Box Car Willie
    Red Barn
    Great Divide
    Mule Team
    Pasture, a red cherry

There's not that much difference between Mule Team and Box Car Willie as grown by me and I think Red Barn has been overlooked and might be the best tasting and performing of all of them listed above.

Seeds for Indian Stripe were sent to me by a good friend from TX who found the fruits in a garden of a neighbor of her relatives whom she was visiting when in Arkansas.

For all the history you can get it at Tania's wonderful data base. There are many now who prefer IS to Cherokee Purple and Craig LeHoullier, who named CP, agrees with me that IS is probably related to CP in some way.

Su much so that there's a PL version of CP,actually three of them, and a PL version of IS, and now a heart versions of both. I'll be offering the IS heart one very soon and the heart version of CP will also be along soon,I didn'thave a hand in that one but do know of it.

It's hard for me to select just one from that list so why not grow just one of them this next season, then, well you know what I'm suggesting.

I think I'd start with IS, then Red barn, then Box Car Willie and if you have the room all three in one season.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn

• jtmacc99
    11 years ago

Cool! I have grown both Red Barn and Box Car Willie, and would grow both again (with a slight nod to Red Barn I think if push came to shove.) Now, apparently, I need to give this Indian Stripe variety a try. It's been a while since I grew something entirely new, so I'm pretty excited to give it a try.