Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ediej1209

That sad time of year

Well, since today is the last decently-warm day for a while, I took on the hated job of pulling out the tomato plants and taking down the supports. Sigh. Somehow taking down the garden is not nearly the fun it is putting it in! Happy winter, everyone!
Edie

Comments (11)

• Deeby
    9 years ago

How did the little survivor do? How was the taste?

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Deeby! My "Foundling" did pretty good. The tomatoes were round, red and most of them were in the 10-12 oz. range, and better than anything in the store. I did save some seeds so we'll see next year how true to type they come out. And of course, that was a freebie which made it that much better :-) Thanks for asking. Did your tomatoes do well for you this year?
    Edie

• Deeby
    9 years ago

It'll be fun to see what the saved seeds make. I grew Red Robin and Yellow Pear-loved the tangy little robins but the pears were just gross !

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Like the song says : "Its sad but its true ".
    I cleaned up my tomato plants past Friday. Tonight we are having our FIRST FROST. At this moment it is 27F out there .

Seysonn

• bigpinks
    9 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving to another Estlers lover.

• hudson___wy
    9 years ago

Last night was our killer freeze for our GH this year! In the spring - when we cover the small plants with a frost blanket - we can protect the plants with outside temps as low as -10 degrees - without much heat. But in the fall - when the plants are large and close to the polycarbonate - the GH only protects them to an outside temp of about 20 degrees. It is also a function of how long during the night the freezing temps remain - it is cold for a much shorter period in the spring but lasts most of the night in the fall. Last night it was -6 degrees - a definite end to the season without heating the GH. We did pick our last produce before the fatal freeze though - great GH year!! Fresh tomatoes off the vine in Wyoming in the middle of November in zone 3 without heat - not bad - all things considered?!

• Deeby
    9 years ago

Not bad? AWESOME is more like it ! As always, I love your photos. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours ! Deborah

• seysonn
    9 years ago

That is not bad at all, Hudson.
    We also had our first killer frost last night (~ +25F). But my plants had been expired more than 3 weeks ago anyway.
    I had one last tomato in the frig to enjoy today.

Seysonn

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    9 years ago

It appears that all of US is affected by the incoming cold weather. I picked what will be the last of my tomatoes yesterday; heating high tunnels over the next week will just not be worth it. Surprisingly the yields wern't bad and I have harvested more than 12 bu. of larger green tomatoes for market sales which will just not be that great either due to cold weather.

Looks like foicus will now be on next year.

• hudson___wy
    9 years ago

I am trying to decide if I am motivated to grow greens during the winter in our heated box - inside the GH. It works great - not too expensive - but does require removing the lid on hot sunny days (in the GH) and of course - watering. We can grow in this box all through the winter months. It is 30" wide X 96" long. We bury the cables about 4" under the soil and plug them into a thermostat that I set at about 50 degrees F.
    The box contains the heat well during the night and the GH is warm enough (sometimes too warm) during the day that if I take off the lid - the plants do well !

{{gwi:308338}}

{{gwi:304315}}

{{gwi:308340}}

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

AACK!!! Hudson, you're killing me!!! Now I have a bad case of the "I wants"!!!!
    Edie