Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Change potting soil for my Red Robins?

Posted by wertach 7 SC (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 30, 11 at 13:23

I'm trying to grow them in a sunny room. I made the mistake of using some miracle gro moisture control that I had left over from spring.

They are showing signs of too much water, drooping, mostly the bottom leaves, but still green. I have a fan on a timer blowing on them 6 hours a day. 60 degrees temps constant. I haven't watered in weeks but the soil is still damp. I set them outside on sunny days, if I get home early enough, for a few hours. Only if the temps are above 60.

They are about 8" tall and were very healthy 2 weeks ago. Do you think they would survive a re-potting in different soil? Or is there something I can do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Change potting soil for my Red Robins?

sure they will survive the sooner the better

o

I didn't get to re-pot or set them outside last week due to my work hours.

They have perked up and started sprouting new leaves/branches on the lower part of the plant where I trimmed some not so good looking branches.

The only change was temps. They are in a house that I am remodeling before I move in. The painter guy turned up the gas logs in the next room to make it more comfortable for him and better paint drying conditions. An average of 70 degrees.

Since I can't check on them every day, I'm thinking about not re-potting. The painter is slow and cheap, Really good on repairs, only works about 2 hours a day. So he will probably be there 2 months or more.

Think I should leave them alone for now?

o

Inclined to agree. Cold and wet really hard on plants sounds like your plants like the painter, and the warmer temps! Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here