Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do tomato plants have iron naturally?

Posted by kelly_r (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 15, 08 at 13:56

Do tomato plants have iron naturally? I mean iron without fertilizer. Thamk you and please respond quickly.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do tomato plants have iron naturally?

Kelly - Your question isn't really clear to me. Do you mean do tomatoes - the fruit - supply iron to our diet? Since we don't eat the plants - they are poisonous - I assume you mean the fruit?

Or, since you mention fertilizer, are you asking about iron in the soil? The plants do not "have" iron on their own. The iron required for proper growth is obtained from the soil they are growing in. So do you mean to ask if soil naturally contains iron?

If so, then the answer is yes but the only way to know if it is sufficient or if additional iron in the form of a soil supplement is needed is to have the soil tested.

Could you clarify exactly what your questions is? A few more details would help.

Thanks.

Dave

o

All plants require Iron for normal, satisfactory growth. Among its many functions within plants, iron acts as a catalyst, speeding up the production of chlorophyll, the green pigment in plants.
Any factor that limits the supply of iron to a plant will reduce the life of the plant. Iron availability to the plant depends a lot on the makeup of the soil. Soils containing lime or are alkaline can inhibit iron uptake caused by iron fixation. I hope this answers your question.

o

I meant the acual plant and fruit. With the plant planted in soil does the acual plant and fruit contain iron?

o

Yes, assuming there is adequate iron in the soil for the plant to grow and produce fruit, then both the plant and the fruit will contain varying degrees of iron.

Dave

o

The USDA Food and Nutrition site shows a large red raw 3" diameter tomato having 0.49 mg of iron on average.

Some people cook tomato products in cast iron cookware to boost the iron content by dissolving small amounts of iron from the pan into the tomato sauce.

People are often advised to take iron supplements with orange juice because the acidity of the juice will help iron absorption. I'd guess tomatoes would also help with this.

I've no idea how much iron is in the tomato leaves and vines but I know they won't grow well if the soil lacks iron or the soil pH binds the iron into insoluble forms.

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA nutrition info data base

o

• Posted by
    earl woodside 93292
    (kn6xi@yahoo.com) on
    Wed, Jan 12, 11 at 20:32

does a tomatoes have lot of iron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here