Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrishashtags_gw

Can I plant tomatoes in winter?

Chris
9 years ago

I did a search of the forum and didn't really see the answer to my question, so here it is: Can I plant tomatoes in winter in Zone 10?

I live in Berkeley, CA and the temperature usually stays above about 45 degrees through winter. I've read that there are certain varieties of tomato that can be grown in my area during winter but couldn't get a sense of how practical or easy it is.

Can I just plant seeds in my planters? Is there any hope of growing tomatoes from seed outside in winter? Any varieties that will do better than others? We don't have a lot of extra room inside to grow seedlings so I was hoping to skip that step if possible.

Comments (16)

• Lars
    9 years ago

I used to live in Berkeley, and it definitely got below 45 degrees every winter, and I've seen light frost there as well, but that was in the 1970s, and so maybe the climate has changed. If you are in the flat part of Berkeley near the bay, you might be okay.

Tomatoes are sensitive to the slightest frost, and so if there is a cold portion of the air that is below 32 degrees, the plants will be damaged. In my own back yard, the temperature varies greatly from one part of the yard to another, but none of it ever gets frost. Although I seldom get temps below 50 degrees in the winter in West Los Angeles, it has gotten below 40 degrees a couple of times in the past five years.

If you do want to grow tomatoes outside, it is best to put them in an area where you can protect them from a cold wind, which can be below freezing even if the ambient temperature is 40 degrees. I've had the best luck with cherry tomatoes, and they made tomatoes for me throughout the winter, although they were a bit smaller in December - the more light they get the better. Mine were volunteers, and so they planted themselves. If you have extra seeds, it won't hurt to try planting them. Mine seemed to grow from old tomatoes.

I have a laser thermometer which will instantly tell me the temperature in any part of the yard. They are inexpensive, and you might want to get one, to help identify cold spots in your yard.

• Chris
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Publickman - Thanks for the tips.

I read that Jan/Feb have a low of 42 degrees but I'm in the flat area and only about half a mile from the water-- there's also an apartment building on one side of our lot that shields some wind so I rounded up to 45 degrees (maybe wishful thinking). I didn't really think about having cold pockets in our yard though... which there certainly are.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

It sounds like you can do it.
    What are the day time temps in those months ?

If you are growing just a few plants, you can always cover them when the lows drop below 35F.

It is worth experimenting, I think. Worst comes to worse you lose a plant.

• Peter1142
    9 years ago

Be mindful of the amount of sun they will be able to get... they will probably need at least 6 hours in the winter to do well.

• Chris
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Seysonn - weather.com says the average high in Jan and Feb is 58 and 62 respectively.

Peter1142 - the planters are in the middle of my yard with no shade from trees so I'd guess they would get direct sunlight from about 9 am to 3:30 pm.

I think what I'm hearing is that it's not completely crazy so I'll probably give it a shot and cover them if it's going to be especially cold.

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

"We don't have a lot of extra room inside to grow seedlings"

If you were to germinate in an aquarium tank, you could do it all outside, have perfect germination temps, and have all the light your seedlings would need.

• SpadeNclaw
    9 years ago

I've started seedlings in cups set inside all sorts of larger containers left open during the day and covered at night.

If you start them in your bed outside, keep a light, sheer piece of fabric or floating row cover handy to protect them during the cooler nights and they should be fine.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Seysonn - weather.com says the average high in Jan and Feb is 58 and 62 respectively.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    No very promising. Even if the lows stay above 40F, with that kind of day temperatures for an extended period tomato plants won't do much. But you can try and experiment.

I would try a plant out , some time in late Feb. This way hopefully warmer temperatures ( day highs in 70s) will arrive.

You have perfect weather for cool crops :

Seysonn

• Chris
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wanted to give everyone an update:

I caved and planted a few seeds indoors and hope to transplant them in mid to late January. I know that's still a little too early, but I've decided my backyard is quite a bit warmer than the temps on the weather websites. Last Saturday the weather websites said it was about 55 degrees--but in my backyard it had to be more like 70.

Either way I'll probably get some more seeds going in about a month just in case the current ones don't make it.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Ok then. If you are germinating now, your seedlings should be ready to be planted out by mid to late January. In this case a temperature range of 40 to 60 should be fine. That is how my climate is in mid April when I plant out. Then if you get an unexpected cold, you can protect them over night.

Good luck and keep posting on progress.

Seysonn

• Chris
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So I planted planted several seeds--eggplant, peppers, tomatoes, broccoli--indoors 11 days ago and the only things that's germinated are the 2 romanesco broccoli. Those came up in about 3 days and everything else is just sitting there.

I used those Jiffy pods... are those decent for germination or just a gimick? I was encouraged that the broccoli appeared so quickly but now I'm confused that there isn't action from anything else. I have the tray sitting on top of the microwave and our heater is always set to a minimum of 66 degrees and it is usually more like 70+ inside. From everything I've read it sounds like that should be warm enough.

I also planted several beet seeds directly outdoors 7 days ago and those are already taking off.

Do I just need to be more patient?

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Broccoli is a cool crop and can germinate in cool soil and air.
    But Tomatoes, peppers and especially eggplants and peppers need a warm soil ( 75F to 89F) to germinate. At room temps (65F to 70F) they will take maybe 2 weeks in average. Some longer, depending on the condition of the seeds. That is why most people use heat mats withe temperature control.
    But once the seeds germinated room temp is fine , no need for heat mat. But then they will need light . I grow mine under florescent shop light.

• Mokinu
    9 years ago

You could at least do winter sowing, I believe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sown

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

I start tomato seeds in the living room below a window; the thermostat is at the other end of the room and is typically set for 72*. I start in seed trays with a cover. The majority of seeds germinate in 3 days, at which time I move the trays to the (fairly warm walk-out) basement where I can put the (uncovered) trays close under the fluorescent lights to keep the seedlings from stretching too far. Whatever didn't germinate in the living room will take longer in the basement, but will eventually come up.

Other than low temperature, the two main suspects in slow germination of tomato seeds are: 1) seeds covered too deep; 2) mix which is not adequately moistened.

I've used peat pellets and various brands of seed-starting mix, and haven't had difficulty with either (though I try to avoid MG mix and dislike Jiffy's mix).

• garf_gw
    9 years ago

Of course you can. Just move down to South Florida. Winter is growing season here. I have begun to start plants for my crop.

• garf_gw
    9 years ago

Of course you can. Just move down to South Florida. Winter is growing season here. I have begun to start plants for my crop.

{{gwi:2132281}}