Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcantonio_gw

paste tomatoes libby's pride and aunt lucys paste any body tried.

marcantonio
9 years ago

anybody tried libbys pride or aunt Lucy's paste? I like to grow enough tomatoes to jar into a sort of puree to make sauce. I like to make maybe 50 to 70 jars. my property is not huge so I need good production. my chico three plants last year gave me excellent production. but I like to mix in other heirloom pastes. I tried martinos roma nice production but many never turned red. my grandfather had a great heirloom plum but unfortunately when he died so did that variety. I notice that aunt lucy and libb'ys pride originated near the area my grandfather came from so i'm gonna take a chance with them. i'm also going to plant ten fingers of naples. any one tried these varieties.?

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Did Aunt Lucy's in 2009 but just gave it that one try. Flavor was good, not great, but then few paste types are noted for great flavor. But they are quite small, not a plum but a round ball similar to a large cherry, say 1 1/2 to 2". Would take many many plants to produce even 1/2 that number of jars of sauce.

For making sauce there are much more productive varieties that produce much larger fruit IMO. As is often discussed here many feel that the best sauce comes from a mixed variety of types (including beefsteaks) rather than from paste varieties. If you have limited space then don't restrict yourself to small-fruited varieties as 50-70 jars will require many bushels of tomatoes.

Carolyn introduced Libby's Pride if I recall correctly so she can tell you more about it.

Dave

• marcantonio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hi dave,
    thanks for the response.
    so it seems aunt Lucy's is not sufficient. I really cant use round tomatoes to jar that is beefsteaks or slicers. because of the size and water content, I don't actually jar sauce. I soften the tomatoes in very hot water put them through the tomato mill fill the jars with the puree with 4 basil leafs and a little salt then boil.the jars.i got 30 jars from 14 chico tomato plants last year, just want to mix another flavor with it. fiaschetto tomatoes make a great addition but they are very small and you need a lot of patience.

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

At the bottom I linked to Libby's Pride, and yes, I was the first to list it in the 2010 SSE Yearbook and sent seeds to Mike at Victory Seeds, who offers it now.

I'd have to look at some back Yearbooks b'c I don't rememember what I thought about it but I did send seeds to an SSE friend who lists it in the 2014 yearbook and knowing her I'd say that her description was on the luke warm side,

I haven't grown the Aunt Lucy one and there are no listings for it in the 2014 Yearbook and here's Tania's page for it, seeds offered by Tomatofest.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Aunt_Lucy%27s_Italian_Paste#tab=General_Info

And yes I've grown Dix Doight de Naples which is the correct name for it and it looks like both Bill Minkey and I first listed it in the 1997 SSE YEarbook.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Dix_Doights_de_Naples#tab=General_Info

And I did think very highly of the above and remember it well b/c it was the first variety I ever got a somatic mutation with, same as a sport with apples, etc, and one branch had fruits that were still red but an entirely different shape.

I've also grown the Martino's Roma you mentioned, listed that one in 1993. Maybe it was the year you grew it since it always turned red for me here in zone 5 upstate NY.

I don't know where your grandfather came from but all of the above originally came from different areas of Italy.

If Italy is you focus I can also highly suggest Mama Leone

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Mama_Leone

That one was introduced by Nancy, the same person who who still lists Libby's Pride in the 2014 Yearbook.

I should mention that none of the tomato varieties that are in the SSE Yearbooks are available to folks who are not SsE members if you aren't familiar with SSE.

Please forget about the various Costolutos and San Marzanos from Italy b'c IMO while they once had excellent reputations, not so for most folks today.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Libby's Pride

• sheltieche
    9 years ago

if you are looking for plum sized paste tomatoes, Tatiana website has this.
    Also lots of hearts are usually quite meaty and have few seeds

Here is a link that might be useful: paste

• marcantonio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks Carolyn,
    i'm going to go with dix doight de naples and try out a few plants of the libby's pride and mama leone. the martinos roma did produce red fruit plants were very healthy just that at frost the plant was loaded with un ripened tomatoes and my production was down that year. my grandparents were from Benevento there variety was very vine like sparser foliage and shaped very incosistantly most like small boxy hearts. I tried a odd variety od costuluto one year called pisanello very tall viny plant. the sauce was out of this world, but they were hard to maintain and not very productive. the san marzano when I planted it. was deceased proned and more fruits with blossom end rot and other ailments. not worth it. I see another type of heirloom called piramide. might be worth a trial run. the chico 3's I planted last year were beautiful almost all without ber.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals