Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lkittle_gw

Moretons Back @ Harris Seed Co.

lkittle
15 years ago

Moreton Hybrid was discontinued a few years back but now with a cooperative agreement between Rutgers University, Eastern Seed Services and Harris Seeds it's back! Rutgers had interest in reintroducing old hybrid tomato varieties that were known for their great eating quality. Through this project, we are happy to be able to offer Moreton Hybrid again. 70 Days. Although it is not firm, it has been known as a connoisseur's favorite. Its large, meaty and delicious fruit mature early. It has an oblate shape and rich red color. Its indeterminate vines do best if staked or trellised and produce over a long period. Resistant to Verticillium.

Options: 1 Pkt. - $2.60 500 Seeds - $9.75 1,000 Seeds - $16.50 5,000 Seeds - $72.95

Comments (7)

• carolyn137
    15 years ago

Yes, it's been posted at several places that Harris will again be offering Moreton Hybrid and I couldn't be happier. I think that the three Harris bred varieties Moreton Hybrid, Supersonic F1 and Jet Star F1 are some of the best hybrids around re taste, and were some of the earliest bred as well.

I would love to see them bring back StarPak F1 as well.

Reading between the lines of what was written it sounds like Rutgers helped by making their Israeli source available to Harris for seed production.

As I'm sure you know Rutgers reintroduced Ramapo F1 recently and their seed production was done in Israel.

I do wish that Rutgers would also allow Harris and TGS to sell seeds of Ramapo F1 b'c they were two of the last ones that sold it. But Rutgers is making money off the sale of Ramapo F1 as sold exclusively by them, so far.

And I did dehybridize Ramapo F1 and it worked out very well as many folks who have grown it have attested to.

Carolyn, who still has a half pack of Moreton F1 that she was thinking of trying to dehybridize and now doesn't have to. ( smile) And note that this is the second time that Moreton F1 has disapperaed, one time they said they lost one parent, so I'm looking at it as the "Lazarus" variety. LOL

• carolyn137
    15 years ago

Looks like there are identical threads started.

Oh well. (smile)

Carolyn

• HoosierCheroKee
    15 years ago

Well, my last hundred twenty-five Moreton F1 seeds from Harris (1999 run) can be tossed out now. Maybe the fresh seeds will produce more vigorous plants than the 1999 seeds did this summer. Moreton is okay, but nothing really special. Plain old Rutgers is better, in my opinion; cheaper seeds ... and being open pollinated is a plus.

Same for Ramapo F4s I grew in 2006. Nice, juicy, tasty tomatoes ... but on a way too rampant vine. Production a bit on the short side for such a huge amount of foliage. Maybe the F1 is a better product. Meanwhile, Rutgers or Rutgers Select is more conservative of space and way more productive.

Never tried Supersonic, so can't comment. Now Jet Star is a great tomato, but not quite as "tomatoey" flavored as I prefer. But a good plant and an ample producer of nice, large, red slicers. In fact, I'd say Jet Star is about the most popular home garden tomato in this county judging from transplant sales.

• lkittle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi All; I will try the reintroduced seed and check the flavor against my open polenated seeds and one of the original old seed stock I have just to be sure all are the same. OP will be third gen going for forth. If results are good they will not dissappear from my table again for any reason.

Sorry about the double post but the first didn't show up until I posted the secound. I'm still confused about that!

• reginald_317
    15 years ago

Carolyn, who still has a half pack of Moreton F1 that she was thinking of trying to dehybridize and now doesn't have to...Well, how big may one expect Moreton's fruits to be, assuming that those forthcoming from this new vending will be rather similar in that attribute to the ones you have grown in the past ? From the picture at Harris's site, those certainly not seem to fit the "large" category. I will try it regardless out of interest in the reprise of an old hybrid tom once apparently held in hi regard. However it would be useful to me to be given an indication of the expected size of Moreton's ripes.

Reg

• tomakers
    15 years ago

Just as an aside, an acquaintance at Rutgers told me they had made over $40,000 on Ramapo seeds. They are very glad they reintroduced it. I would guess it will be around for a while.
    Tom

• carolyn137
    15 years ago

However it would be useful to me to be given an indication of the expected size of Moreton's ripes.

Should be in the 10 to maybe 14 oz range depending on all the variables you know about.

Supersonic is in the same weight range and Jet Star a bit smaller.

Carolyn